og 1.056 fg 1.009 Is it time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfie

Reaction score
I just checked a batch of ESB and got a grav of 1.009. This is my first fuller bodied beer. Its an extract with steeped grains.
3.4 kg light LME
200 g light crystal malt
270 g amber malt
270 g flaked corn

boiling 28 g northern brewer
flavour 20 g Fuggles
Aroma 40 g E. kent goldings

pitched June 23
racked June 26

Thanks

Newfie

btw .... the sample to check grav tasted great

When you say "pitched on the 23rd, racked on the 26th," do you mean that it was only in the primary for three days before transferring to secondary? If so, what was the gravity at the time you racked? There's really no need to rack that soon, the problems with leaving the beer in the primary too long (off flavors for the yeast, etc.) take more than two weeks to develop.

If it's 1.009, it's done regardless of how long it was in the fermenter. (56-9)/56 = 84% attenuation, it doesn't get much better. A lot of English styles/yeasts will ferment out in three days. It's been in the clearing tank for two weeks, go ahead and bottle.

Most of what is presented in the forum as Natural Law is really just guidelines. About the only exceptions have to do with WAIT. A fast ferment does not mean less time for settling or conditioning.

Hey guys, sounds good. Bird, I racked when the Krausen started to fall. 26th was a typo from looking at my notes. It was the 27th.
right on ,
newfie

Next time wait for the krausen to finish falling. Unless, of course, you need the fermenter for the next batch. I have three identical buckets, which do duty as primaries, clearing tanks or secondaries.

Latest posts

Back