Mounting my drip tray to keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDBreWs0624

Reaction score
Trying to finish up my keezer build, and i am running into one proble. I need to mount my drip tray 14" drip tray. Not trying to drill holes in the side of the keezer. And the out side is just a oak veneer. So not much to drill into. Any ideas?

P.S. i have more pics if needed.

KEEZER.jpg

JUNK.jpg

I used some heavy-duty, double sided adhesive tape on my drip tray (also 14"). It works really well, the only downside is that I cannot easily take the drip tray off. I just clean it up with a sponge as needed. The tape only cost about 2 bucks at the hardware store.

I bought those short shelf brackets and glued them to the side of my keezer with liquid nails. Then I glued rare earth magnets to the bottom of my drip trays and just set them on the brackets. They stay in place, but can still be removed for cleaning. My keezer is black so I bought black shelf brackets and you can't even see them.

I bought those short shelf brackets and glued them to the side of my keezer with liquid nails. Then I glued rare earth magnets to the bottom of my drip trays and just set them on the brackets. They stay in place, but can still be removed for cleaning. My keezer is black so I bought black shelf brackets and you can't even see them.

So just like "L" brackets at lowe's?

Couldn't you just super glue rare earth magnets to the back of the dip tray. Perhaps they are strong enough to work through the oak veneer. If not super glue a thin metal strip to the oak. Or just glue the magnets directly to the oak.
Rare earth magnets are really strong. Perhaps not strong enough if you wished to set your glasses on the dip tray.... in that case do what Michele said with the L support

SDBreWs0624 said:
So just like "L" brackets at lowe's?

I used "L" shaped shelf brackets, not the plain utility "L" brackets, but you could use either. I got mine at Menards, by the shelving stuff. They have a dozen styles and shapes, and since you can see mine a little, I wanted a fancier black bracket rather than a plain silver utility bracket. As with most keezer builds, you can take any idea and make it your own!

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to see what other people have done. So where can i pick up some rare earth magnets at?

I would probably run three furring strips vertically up the outside, glued to the oak veneer. Then you could put screws into the strips and hang the drip tray like it's supposed to be hung. Would likely be strong enough to support a full glass of beer without worrying about magnets or brackets.

I would probably run three furring strips vertically up the outside, glued to the oak veneer. Then you could put screws into the strips and hang the drip tray like it's supposed to be hung. Would likely be strong enough to support a full glass of beer without worrying about magnets or brackets.

Yeah thats not a bad idea at all. Do you know the dimensions of a peice furring, or is it just like a peice of one by. Think subfloor glue would be a good way to attach to the veneer? Really all I'm looking for is that it looks clean, and can hold my beer

Yeah, snag some 1x2 or even cut down a piece of 3/4" ply and use that as your backing. I'd use liquid nails, but subfloor glue may work, I've never tried.

Yeah i like that idea alot. Only thing what about clamping the 1x2 to the face of the keezer. Thinking maybe run a tie down strap all the way around to give some pressure, or buying a fast drying glue. Do they make a reverse clamp? That may work.

If the keezer is empty and off, just lay it on its front and let gravity do its thing. Put some books down or whatever you need to get the height to clear your tap handles.

What about screwing some 1x2" (stained to match) into the collar? That would drop down and then screw the tray(s) into that. My Keezer is long finished and I'm tired of cleaning the floor all the time.

well even though the OP hasn't been around since 2018, and the thread is from 2012...

Why not velcro tape? be easy to take off and clean, and reatach?

I suspect the heat put into the skin of modern-era chest freezer cabinets would cause anything that is supposed to "stick" (aside from magnets) to fail.

[edit] Do you remember that black pipe drip tray hanger setup that was posted around a year ago? I thought it looked great and was plenty solid. I can never find the darned thing when I want to show it off :D

Cheers!

so then an 12V electro magnet? just looked one up and had to learn what a 250N holding force was, 56lb's.....should be enough for a drip tray! :mug:

could have a toggle switch for cleaning the tray.....

Wouldn't that draw a bunch of current and generate heat? I know solenoids on a pinball machine get plenty hot. I've decided I'm just going to match the collar stain on some pine and liquid nail it to the face of the Keezer, drill some screws and hang the wall mount trays to that.

Alternately I saw these: Hands on Review: 6″ x 4″ Budget Magnetic “Drip Tray”

But they are twice the price of a drip tray on amazon... and I'm cheap.

Get the magnets out of computer hard disk drives, I got mine for a dollar each from the salvage place.
Very strong, if your keg fridge / freezer is covered then glue the back plate to the veneer with araldite / epoxy .
Wouldn't want my drip tray falling off if power cut.

If you want a cheap alternative to those expensive drip trays you might want to look at a stainless steel smoker box

I used some heavy-duty, double sided adhesive tape on my drip tray (also 14"). It works really well, the only downside is that I cannot easily take the drip tray off. I just clean it up with a sponge as needed. The tape only cost about 2 bucks at the hardware store.
Do you know the name of the tape or where you got it I’ve tried magnets and it didn’t work.

Did you use the hard drive magnets? They are super strong especially magnet to magnet. Glue a magnet on the fridge and another on the driptray.

I suspect the heat put into the skin of modern-era chest freezer cabinets would cause anything that is supposed to "stick" (aside from magnets) to fail.

[edit] Do you remember that black pipe drip tray hanger setup that was posted around a year ago? I thought it looked great and was plenty solid. I can never find the darned thing when I want to show it off :D

Cheers!
Yup I do remember it well! So much that I copied it myself lol. Here's where I saw it: First keezer build

This is my version in the pic below. I also like the fact that with a good bit of traffic in and through my garage, people don't accidentally knock the taps but the bottom of the trip tray and/or black pipe instead lol.
IMG_9779.jpg

Doesn't it just cheese you off when someone posts the first time they try something and they do it better than everyone before them?

Anyhow, that looks great! How much clearance is there? Usual measurements I've seen are from the center of the shank to the top of the tray.

Doesn't it just cheese you off when someone posts the first time they try something and they do it better than everyone before them?

Anyhow, that looks great! How much clearance is there? Usual measurements I've seen are from the center of the shank to the top of the tray.
Its about 10 and 3/4 inches from the top of the shelf to the center of the taps shank. The glass pictured is about 6.5" tall.Not the best picture but should still give you an idea. Im happy with it.
IMG_9781.jpg

I'm looking at this too. I have a side-by-side fridge with the taps out the front. I'm not wild about putting screws in it, but it has to be easier the cutting the taps in. Right? RIGHT???

I'm not sure I want to trust magnets either.

I'm looking at this too. I have a side-by-side fridge with the taps out the front. I'm not wild about putting screws in it, but it has to be easier the cutting the taps in. Right? RIGHT???

I'm not sure I want to trust magnets either.
do you mean mounting your tray in the door? No I think self tapping screws are the way to go in a door. You can't do that on a freezer because of the risk of hitting a cooling line, but a door? no problem.

do you mean mounting your tray in the door? No I think self tapping screws are the way to go in a door. You can't do that on a freezer because of the risk of hitting a cooling line, but a door? no problem.

Yes, that's likely what I'll end up doing. And why I came out the door in the first place.

Now I just need to find a high quality and low cost drip tray

I ordered an eight pack of 1 1/4" neodymium magnets off Amazon and attached seven to the back of my drip tray. It will support my 30 oz SS insulated tumbler full of cider.

Don't let your pacemaker get near that lot! You'll lose your rhythm. Did you glue them on the drip tray or magnet to drip tray and to the keezer wall.

Just wanted to update, my drip tray fell off my keezer last week. The 3M rounds had a thin layer of foam in the middle and it separated. I cleaned off all the adhesive, that was a pain, and super glued the magnets to the drip tray.

I initially thought that the drip tray was a bit of unnecessary extravagance, but the mess on the floor after it fell proved me wrong. Definitely make sure you can remove it and toss it in the dish washer.

Ooh this is interesting... @RolandD did you buy rare earth magnets that came with 3M round double sided sticky-pads?
I just put mine on with 5 of them and ALSO used the magnets too...
It wasn't strong enough with just the magnets...hoping mine won't fall one day 🤞

Back