Bayou Classic SQ14 lift kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitterbrush

Reaction score
Decided to lift up my SQ14 burner, so I welded some legs to it. Turned out so good I might try selling this setup someday. I used 3/16 x 2 angle, probably could go with lighter steel next time but the 2" looks good so maybe just a little thinner gauge. This thing is heavy duty, you could set a 1000 pound keggle on it now!

2011-06-22%25252009.41.21.jpg

Very nice. I wanted to do that and they do sell (at least they used to) leg extensions. I was thinking about sliding steel pipe over the existing legs and cutting the ends of each leg so it would lay flat on the ground but wasn't real sure on stability. Maybe I'll have another side project for the welder at work once he is done with my keggle build #3

Very nice. I wanted to do that and they do sell (at least they used to) leg extensions. I was thinking about sliding steel pipe over the existing legs and cutting the ends of each leg so it would lay flat on the ground but wasn't real sure on stability. Maybe I'll have another side project for the welder at work once he is done with my keggle build #3

I used sections of unthreaded black iron pipe for leg extensions. They work very well and I like that they are easily removable. I did not bother with beveling the bottoms ends of the pipe. It's quite stable as is.

Is there a factory option that is taller? I'm looking for a burner but would just prefer to buy a tall one as I don't have access to a welder...

Cool. That's exactly what I need. Wish I had a welder. Maybe I'll try Catt22's black pipe trick.

I did the pipe deal on mine for awhile, used 2" black iron pipe over the legs. It's really scary watching 10 gallons of boiling liquid move around without anyone touching the keggle. Just could never get it stable on the pipe legs. The base I have now is rock solid and I don't have to keep messing with those 4 pieces of pipe anymore!

I did the pipe deal on mine for awhile, used 2" black iron pipe over the legs. It's really scary watching 10 gallons of boiling liquid move around without anyone touching the keggle. Just could never get it stable on the pipe legs. The base I have now is rock solid and I don't have to keep messing with those 4 pieces of pipe anymore!

Yeah, the 2" pipe is too big for a snug fit. IIRC, I used 1-1/4" pipe and never had the stability problem as you described. I like that I can break it down easily for compact storage and easier transport for group brews, camping etc.

Yeah, the 2" pipe is too big for a snug fit. IIRC, I used 1-1/4" pipe and never had the stability problem as you described. I like that I can break it down easily for compact storage and easier transport for group brews, camping etc.

Does anyone have a picture of how they used the pipe to extend the height of their burner? I just can't picture how the pipe would fit on the legs and provide enough support.

Anyone have pics of them using pipe to extend the height of their burners? I need to do this since my stand is so short and my carboy is difficult to rack into.

Anyone have pics of them using pipe to extend the height of their burners? I need to do this since my stand is so short and my carboy is difficult to rack into.

I didn't use pipes, but I built a stand to raise it up to the height of my other vessels. Works great to gravity feed right into the carboy.

P3021276.JPG

P3021281.JPG

I mounted my burner on a tool rack from harbor freight. It was plenty sturdy. I added some 2x4s which I attached with a couple of beefy bolts.

I think the rack was on sale at harbor freight for $25. Reminded me of building erector set when I was a kid.

image-1610805323.jpg

image-2049791624.jpg

image-2951337213.jpg

Back