1 primary and 2 secondaries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karac

Reaction score
I have a two gallon primary(.....of some type....Im in an apartment it is all that fits). I also have two, one gallon glass jugs. So, If I split my beer into two secondary fermenters, would it be better to split and treat them as two separate beers or go ahead and combine the whole thing for ease of bottling?

If you're not doing anything different to them (like adding post-fermentation flavors such as dry-hops, fruit, vanilla, wood, etc.), then I'd say do what's easiest.

Sounds like it would be easiest to combine them both back into your primary (I assume doubled as your bottling bucket) with the priming solution and bottle it all at once.

You have a little flexibility with your two secondaries. You can do what JT mentioned or you can experiment with dry hopping in one, and do something completely different with the other. I haven't done anything like that myself, but it seems like it would be fun.

I like the experimenting idea. Once you get a few batches under your belt and know what different recipes come out like using your setup, I say do what JT and Richabt said. I too haven't tried this type of experiment, specifically because I haven't repeated the same recipe twice yet (there are so many other brews I want to do!!!)...but you'd definitely be able to fine tune some recipes that way.

Thanks everyone.
This is only my second brew. I never thought about experimenting....Damn, guess I have to read more about beer.:ban:

Back