Austin Homebrew Coffee Malt Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Greets, gang. I'm brewing my first stout, from a partial mash Austin Homebrew kit.

The brew day went really well. OG was 1.060 and I pitched right at 68F. I had good fermentation after 24 hours, but it stopped after 12 more hours. I waited a week at 66-68F to take a hydro sample and it's gone to 1.022.

The yeast in the kit was Munton's Premium Gold dry. The last AHS kit I did (ESB) used the same yeast and I had a similar problem.

So is this normal for a stout and I just need to wait?

Thanks!

-Joe

Brewhaus Calculator gives me 4.8% when I enter those numbers. AHS site says "Approximately 5% ABV". Sounds like the yeast did their job, though your SG was 1.060 and AHS said it should be around 1.050.

I was just looking at this kit to do my first AG with. If you can tell by my sig ... I love stouts.

AHS said it should be around 1.050.
The instructions with the kit said OG of 1.059 and FG of 1.013. I figured 1.060 was close enough.

I love stouts too and am really looking forward to this one. The grains smelled soooo good during the mash.

-Joe

Rack it to the secondary, leave it sit a few more weeks, I bet those yeast are quite done yet. Racking usually wakes up my yeast pretty well, YMMV.

Rack it to the secondary, leave it sit a few more weeks, I bet those yeast are quite done yet. Racking usually wakes up my yeast pretty well, YMMV.
Well, I raised the temp in my ferment freezer from 65 to 68 and will give it a good swirl tonight. If it's still 1.022 by next Sunday I'm going to pitch some Safale US-05.

I switched to dry yeast based on a lot of good stories about it here and have been disappointed in this Munton's so far. As far as I can tell, my brewing procedures are correct but I'm not getting the results I'd expect. I guess I have to switch to some better yeast :(

The third kit I got from Austin at the same time came with Coopers Ale yeast (subbed for Notty), about which I've read a lot of unpleasant things. So I won't be using that, either.

-Cranky Joe

When I'm using dry yeast, I use US-05 and never have had a problem with it. S-04 also works well if you are looking for an English style. Of course that doesn't help you in your current situation.

I just checked the ESB referenced above, which used the same yeast. Pitched 8/17 with an OG of 1.055. A week later 1.019. Left it two more weeks in the primary and racked to secondary. Today (9/15) it's still at 1.019.

I was ready to keg it today. The sample is still a bit sweet, but nice. So now I don't know if I should re-pitch or just say screw it and keg.

So I appeal to the experience of the board. If you were in my shoes, what would you do with these two brews? I've got two packets of Safale US-05 in stock.

-Joe

Sorry Nostalgia,

I think it's kinda your call. You seem to have the worst luck with beers not finishing. If you are ok with the ESB, I'd keg it. I don't like the 1.022 for the stout, I think that is too high. I wouldn't see any problems in re-pitching.

You seem to have the worst luck with beers not finishing.
heh, tell me about it. That's why I was wondering if it was me. But the Munton's poor track record has me thinking it's the yeast. At least this time ;)

Yeah, the ESB tasted good, and I'm sure it'll be better after carbing up and aging a bit, so I'll keg that this week. I'm going to repitch the stout tonight.

I did get a reply back from AHS. Their advice was the same: keg the ESB, repitch the stout.

Thanks for the input, gang.

-Joe

Still no love. Repitched US-05 on 9/17, today 9/30 it's still at 1.022. It's been at 1.022 for almost 4 weeks now, so I just kegged it tonight.

It looks and tastes good. Just a hint of malty sweetness, but I think that's OK for a coffee malt stout.

-Joe

Still no love. Repitched US-05 on 9/17, today 9/30 it's still at 1.022. It's been at 1.022 for almost 4 weeks now, so I just kegged it tonight.

It looks and tastes good. Just a hint of malty sweetness, but I think that's OK for a coffee malt stout.

-Joe

Well that's bootastic. I don't think you can blame the US-05 on that. How's that other one going that only got the US-05?

I know this isn't much help w/ what's gone on so far - but I won't use Muntons or Coopers yeast at all. It's Safale or nothin' for me. Sorry you're experiencing these troubles dude!

Well that's bootastic. I don't think you can blame the US-05 on that. How's that other one going that only got the US-05?
Unless the yeast never woke up in the low-gravity wort, which I guess is always possible. *shrug*

The other one went from 1.050 to 1.008. Had good strong fermentation for 4+ days.

No worries. It tastes like beer, lessons learned. Thanks to all who offered their input!

-Joe

Put 'er on the gas a week ago and tapped it today. Does that look delicious or what?

ahs_coffemaltstout.jpg

I carbed it at 14psi, which is a little high I think. The flavor is nice. There's a CO2 smell at first, but that dissipated quickly. Then I'm getting good roasty flavor. Since it didn't attenuate all the way I was expecting sweet, but I'm getting the opposite. It's just a little dry.

Overall I'm very pleased :)

-Joe

Latest posts

Back