Hot wash First AG batch: Lemon Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHvanBommel

Reaction score
Alright, so here is a link to my web gallery for my first AG batch, i promise its not Pr0n.
http://gallery.mac.com/veesquared#100108&bgcolor=black&view=grid

anyway, it has all turned out relatively successful with the exception of having to top up when transferring to the carboy, I will need to figure out a better way to filter out cold break... any ideas are always welcome.
Morning started at 755 EST (I couldn't sleep)
Heated 5 gallons to 180 (thought that would be enough to prime 10Gal. igloo)
poured three gallons hot... 2 gallons cold... missed my target by about 18 degrees.... spent the next hour reheating little bits of water at a time.
finally hit 158, dough in, PH at 5.0, Temp 154
85 minutes later (I was going for 90 minute mash) brought 3 gallons to 170
@ 90min. started recirculating
45 minutes to sparge (fly) and collect approx 7.5 gallons of Wort in Kettle.
90 minute boil
-45 1 oz hallertau plug
-20 1 tsp irish moss
-15 immerse IC + 1 tsp Coriander + 5 cardamom seeds (green shells)
-1 .5 oz hallertau Plug
cooled down to 90 from 212 in approx 25 minutes (I need something more efficient... where was that thread on CFC...)
Transferred to Carboy, topped up with 2 gallons cold (over boiled?)
Pitched WLP400 at 78 degrees.
Input?

Congratulations!
It sounds like your first session went very well.

I would suggest measuring your volumes at each step so you can control the volume going into the fermenter a bit better. I also find that a pinch of irish moss along with a quick cool helps coagulate the cold break better.

Cheers,
Brad

Did you make a starter? I used a starter for the first time with a batch last month. It was bubbling within a day. My other experiences were up to 3 days. I always thought I had an oxygen or yeast problem since most of the vials and smack pack says you can put it directly into wort.

The good news is that I got to purchase an aeration stone, bad news is that I did not really need it. Maybe I can use it on a big beer soon.

i'm putting the finishing touches on my stir plate (flask + stir bar) i assume i could probably have done it without but no... i didn't, should have... its a good thing hindsight is 2020...

I boil some DME, cool and add the yeast to it. I would like to know how your system turns out. More brew toys are always nice.

ANy Action in the fermenter? I did a belgian and after about two days added ale yeast. I find out later that it might take a while for belgian yeast if you don't make a starter. Mine turned ou ok after all, but I'd like to do again with belgian yeast.

Are you fermenting at a lower temp? My German ale was 14 days. My American wheat was at a higher temp and was done in 10 days

Back