Sediment in my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Hi guys I haven't been on in a while but I have a bit of a problem.
Late summer I started a batch of rhubarb wine it all finished nicely fermentation was complete I siphoned it in to bottles and corked them all and the wine was Crystal clear I had recently looked at some of the bottles that are say in my wine rack and the are getting quite a lot of sediment settling on the sides of the bottles why is theis happening ??

Sounds like you did not let it clear long enough. How long did you let it sit after it stopped fermenting. Mine nomally sit for 3 to 6 months after fermentation stops.

Ah that's probably it I only let it sit for around two weeks after fermentation had finished.

I had the same thing happen to one of my very first batches. Looking through it, I didn't think there could possibly be anything else suspended in it, but after I bottled I had a very fine sediment dust the sides of my bottles. I also bottled after about only a month.

Would using finings do the same as letting it stand for 6 months ??

No. Finings do help pull stuff out of suspension, but they aren't magical. The wine will often drop lees for about 4-6 months, depending on what kind of wine it is.

A typical rule of thumb is to bottle the wine only when no lees have gathered in a freshly racked wine over at least 60 days.

After 60 days, with no lees at all in the carboy, it's probable that sediment won't form. But sometimes even after that, chilling down the bottle may encourage more precipitates. In some cases, it's "wine diamonds"- tartaric acid crystals that will fall out with cold temperatures and sometimes it may be more yeast and proteins or pectins.

A good way to avoid sediment in bottles is to wait at least 60 days after racking, to make sure no new lees form, and then cold stabilize the wine by placing it in a cold place for another 60 days. That will encourage anything still in suspension to fall out. After that, the wine can be bottled.

Back