First AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
So I've almost got my MLT made and am planning on brewing my first AG batch in the next week or so. I would like to start with an American style wheat beer. Anyone have a recommendation for a simple no frills wheat beer? I'm not a fan of belgian's as I don't really like banana or clove flavors.

There is a recipe section (in the reddish brown bar at the top of every page, about the center) that has a gazillion recipes (all grain, partial mash, extract) that have been created by members and tested to their tastes and usually comments by other members too, including some suggested changes. I found these recipes in the "wheat and rye" section. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/

Since you are going the traditional mash tun route, consider the addition of rice hulls to help the huskless wheat for a nice filter bed. Also consider that wheat is a small, hard kernel that may need a smaller gap in the crusher to get the efficiency that you would expect.

Might I kindly recommend that your first all grain experience not be with wheat? The first all grain batch I did was a wheat beer and even with a SS braid in the latter tun the brew day ended several hours later than I planned. Like RM said, use plenty of rice hulls. Best case you don't get a stuck sparge and your brew day goes grate, worst case, you brew something without wheat next time. Either way you'll have beer in the end so you win. You might want to pick up some DME to make up for any lack of efficiency the wheat creates.

My first AG was an American wheat and I had 12 oz rice hulls in a 9 lb grain bill. Had zero problems and 82% efficiency. Good luck!!

Back