Mini-Fridge Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
I just came across a Mini Fridge with a nice stainless steel front. It would be perfect to convert into a kegerator. The only problem is there is a small freezer at the top of the refrigerated section which blocks a typical 5 gallon keg from fitting.

Can I just cut/disconnect the freezer section from the top of the fridge?

Thanks guys!

The freezer sections of small fridges tend to contain the cooling coils and cannot be removed, bent or otherwise modified. Take a close look at the freezer, if there are regular bulges in the floor or walls, you're out of luck.

Thanks for the response. It looks like the cold for the freezer is coming from a tube located from the back base (bottom) of the fridge and runs up the back corner to the freezer unit. The freezer itself looks like it is attached loosely to the top, with the thermostat separated to the left of the freezer unit.

I just looked at it closer. The ice tray, which is bolted to the roof of the fridge is the actual cooling unit. So if i took that off, its game over. Tell me this wouldn't make a great kegerator???

I was in the Sears scratch and dent a few weeks ago and they had a few full size units with that look. Would have been really cool for a conversion but they were way too expensive for my budget.

Yea the freezer plate has freon lines which cool the entire box.
You cannot remove it without rupturing coolant. You cannot add coolant.
Every fridge tech will tell you that it's not seviceable.

Latest posts

Back