Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ellie and Gus doing what they do best.

image-2982955890.jpg

Zuljin said:
I like your floor.

Thanks. The previous owner was a tile dude in the late 70s so it's got a lot of neat tile work. Especially the sunken tiled tubs.

image-3815758093.jpg

image-3144982005.jpg

She doesn't eat it, it's just crappy Wal-Mart fleece showing signs of wear from being occupied 23 1/2 hrs a day. She seriously loves that bed more than us.

Wow that is a cool looking wolf. Will he eat that entire bone at once? I didn't no you are alowed to have a pet wolf. I would be worried he would eat my femur bone :)

We get donations of leg bones, spines etc...The bones last for 6 months or so till we have to remove them .The sun bleaches them so that they start to shater, creating a hazard for the pups.

I am not worried about my femur yet, but have been bitten a few times My wife was bitten by a feral Wolfdog 2 months ago...his canines are 1.25 inches long, the punctures were close to 1 inch deep.

You have to be on your guard, but generally they are very affectionate. the key is controlling the rescources (FOOD)!

Are wolfdogs goofy and cuddly when they spend time with people, or do you have to constantly keep them active and remind the of their place in the pack?

We have a couple of low content wolfdogs that are pretty freindly. They can be trusted around children and adults without issue. Nyx (the girl on the bottom of the photo) is one of them.

There are several others here that we do not allow children under 12 around at all, and generally can not be trusted with strangers. Venus (the girl at the top in the photo) is one of these. She is very timid around strangers, and if cornered will aggress. If she is with the rest of the pack, especially with Khan (the big wolfypoo in my avatar) and Damon they will stalk small people and animals. We have seen on two occasions where this group has acted as in the wild...use your imagination, only small wild game animals crossing our property were involved.

Wolfdogs can be good companions, but they are hard to evaluate as cubs to determine if they will be ok in a family. The best bet is to get one that is F3+ (F3, F4, F5 etc) as these tend to be more domesticated no matter the percentage.

As far as "work" os concerned...I am a behaviorist, my wife is a vet tech. We run a rescue, and boarding/training facility. We find it easy to deal with wolfdogs. That being said, we have taken in and readopted out a lot of wolfdogs because they are to much work for the average family.

A low content wolfdog will be very destructive, may be an escape artist, might have a prey drive, should be ok in most situations a "normal " dog can handle.

A mid content wolfdog will be very destructive, will be an escape artist, will likely have a prey drive (hopefully) limited to small animals, may be ok in most low stress situations a normal dog can handle

A high content wolfdog will be extraordinarily destructive, will be an amazing escape artist, will have a prey drive that has no limits as to size or species, will not do well at all in any strange situation...basically an animal you would expect to see in a zoo. Basically a hand grenade in the wrong situation....

I have covered several cases of high content wolfdogs killing livestock, aggressing towards humans etc. They are not a companion to be taken llightly, and need constant engagement to keep them out of trouble.

I am not worried about my femur yet, but have been bitten a few times My wife was bitten by a feral Wolfdog 2 months ago...his canines are 1.25 inches long, the punctures were close to 1 inch deep.

You have to be on your guard, but generally they are very affectionate. the key is controlling the rescources (FOOD)!

Good lord, I have 2 Aussies and they constantly bicker over food. I have to sit between them to keep them separated at dinner time, otherwise they just growl at each other. My fingers have been caught in the crossfire a couple times.

I can only imagine what it's like with wolfdogs!

MC

Many many beautiful pups on this thread!!! I hate to make generalizations, but I would be inclined to say canine companions of homebrewers may be the happiest on earth based on the pics here:mug:

And now for the legal part...sorry:eek:

***Disclaimer***

We do not advocate the breeding of Wolfdogs. I know at times my posts may seem to glorify these creatures, but in reality, they are exotic and wild animals and should be treated as such. Unfortunately, folks get caught up in the idea of having a "bit of the wild" in their home, or want wolfdogs for spiritual reasons, or sometimes want Wolfdogs as watchdogs, or just want one because "they are cool"....These are the wrong reasons to have a Wolfdog as a companion, and these are just a few of the reasons people have given me as to why they got the animal that they are now surrendering to HVWS.

Please...do the research, talk to knowlegeable people, spend some time among Wolves and Wolfdogs before adopting or getting one as a companion.

Any beer drinking dogs? Mine will lick the dribbles while I bottle, lick the last drops from a bottle and if I let them, lap beer from my glass. Not much. Just a few licks,but it's not just curiosity or wanting what I have. They really seem to like it. Especially ales and wheats.

And yes I've read about hops and dogs. What I drink and brew is usually low in hops and a few laps of beer ain't hurting them.

What kind?

And yes, Ruby is a sweetheart - however we're still putting her through some good groundwork to establish this as her new home - she is doing well but has a TON of energy! I sure forgot that puppy energy.

Any beer drinking dogs? Mine will lick the dribbles while I bottle, lick the last drops from a bottle and if I let them, lap beer from my glass. Not much. Just a few licks,but it's not just curiosity or wanting what I have. They really seem to like it. Especially ales and wheats.

My Aussies would outdrink me if I let them. They love all of my beers.... May be I need to get them on the consumers' list to increase my production!

MC

Zuljin said:

And yes I've read about hops and dogs. What I drink and brew is usually low in hops and a few laps of beer ain't hurting them.

My newf will drink as much as I give her. My friends have learned to put their beers out of her reach when they're over because she doesn't ask, she just starts lapping out of your glass.

Tex said:
My newf will drink as much as I give her. My friends have learned to put their beers out of her reach when they're over because she doesn't ask, she just starts lapping out of your glass.

I used to have a newf. She was 235lbs and would knock over yourglass to drink rum and coke. She was the biggest teddy bear ever

I used to have a newf. She was 235lbs and would knock over yourglass to drink rum and coke. She was the biggest teddy bear ever

We are still talking about dogs right? If not, this thread could be very insulting to women from north of here. :drunk:

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
We are still talking about dogs right? If not, this thread could be very insulting to women from north of here. :drunk:

It's okay. Even Canadians make fun of newfies.

What kind?

And yes, Ruby is a sweetheart - however we're still putting her through some good groundwork to establish this as her new home - she is doing well but has a TON of energy! I sure forgot that puppy energy.

Thats Otto, he's an American Staffordshire Terrier. There are definitely some fine dogs around here.

What I love so much about Rots are their eyes. You know immediately the mood the Rot is in. They put up with an awful lot of nonsense, and give you plenty of time to correct... hehe

Your guy there... he needs his ear scratched.

Back