I roll first class

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david00001

Reaction score
You're looking at one tin can, two coat hangers, and a hose clamp.

image-4221582454.jpg

Way to go! Gotta start cheap sometimes. Not sure what sort of metals are in coat hanger wire, so keep it out of the wort.

Smashing said:
saving your pennies for a new Coach purse?

At least I'm not the only guy on here that recognizes a coach purse, I have swmbo to thank for that one.

If my wife sees one more Austin HB store charge on the credit card......she's gonna buy a new Coach purse!

Way to go! Gotta start cheap sometimes. Not sure what sort of metals are in coat hanger wire, so keep it out of the wort.

I'd keep the can out of the wort, too. Aren't cans lined with BPA (the stuff they're NOT putting in water bottles anymore), which gets released when heated?

I'd keep the can out of the wort, too. Aren't cans lined with BPA (the stuff they're NOT putting in water bottles anymore), which gets released when heated?

Considering that cans are typically heated after being filled (pasteurization) I very much doubt that heating them again would cause any problems.

I got one thing right, that's a Edens Organic BPA-free can. Stainless I think they are actually.

Defintely not a stainless can, looks like plain steel with a non-BPA liner. All metal cans are lined to protect the can from the food inside. You be surprised by what food can do to bare metal after a few months.

You can also get a garbage disposal replacement. Nice steel, larger opening. I'm sure a bit more pricey than the can, but under $20.

b5810c5c.jpg

You can also get a garbage disposal replacement. Nice steel, larger opening. I'm sure a bit more pricey than the can, but under $20.

b5810c5c.jpg

Are you going to tow a bus with that thing? I just kills me to see how over built most of the this stuff actually is, except of course for that can and coat hanger hop spider.

Are you going to tow a bus with that thing? I just kills me to see how over built most of the this stuff actually is, except of course for that can and coat hanger hop spider.

Don't see how it's overbuilt, personally. While I know some folks pride themselves on building their whole brewery out of stuff found in their closet, I would never feel comfortable with the hanger can thing. Then again, I am clumsy. I'm sure I'd stab myself on the hanger, get cut on the can, then break the thing and dump hops in the kettle.

Maybe someone less clumsy than me can make the can work for 'em. :D

Great, make me feel bad about mine now. lol. Overbuilt? Sure.

Definitely pretty though.

5EH1L.jpg

Hey OP, I'm sure the tin can will be fine for 1-3 uses, after that I would change it out. People use PVC for crying out loud. This aint rocket science. More power to ya. :rockin:

5EH1L.jpg

Hey OP, I'm sure the tin can will be fine for 1-3 uses, after that I would change it out. People use PVC for crying out loud. This aint rocket science. More power to ya. :rockin:

Thing of beauty.

5EH1L.jpg

Hmm... That is pretty, especially the lid for it.

Hmm... That is pretty, especially the lid for it.

That's the same piece I used. Garbage disposal replacement drain. Nice wide opening for when you're using whole hopes. I once did a IIPA with 12 ounces of leaf hops. Was a pain in the arse to get through the sink drain hop spider with it's small opening!

Latest posts

Back