How do the pro's do it? Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
Just curious and trying to figure it out. Besides having the amazing equipment we all wish we had like nice stainless steel conicals and everything. So how do the pro's ferment their beer in roughy say four days and not have to use a secondardy and what not. Do they use super yeast or something like that? Been thinking about it for a while at work today. Lol, been a productive day. Curious is all. &nyone know their secrets and if we homebrewers are able to give it a shot?

cheers :)

Use the same yeast that homebrewers do. Ferment at stable temps, crash cool the beer, drop yeast from bottom of unitanks (which is essentially the same thing as a "secondary"). Typical brew to glass is figured on 14 days for ales, 28 for lagers. I have turned beers around in as little as 7-10 days in a pub. Obviously, if you can go longer it's better, but 14 days is the goal in most cases.

One of the keys, in homebrewing or in pro brewing, is to pitch the proper amount of yeast at the very beginning. Keep fermentation temperatures under control, and that's about it. In the beers I've checked, FG has always been reached in 3-5 days.

Conditioning can take place in the fermenter, as the reason the pros move the beer to the bright tank is to start another batch in the fermenter. But if you want to use a bright tank as well, that's fine. I package almost all of my regular beers at day 10 or so, and dryhopped beers at day 13-20, depending on how busy I am. But I have packaged beers on day 7.

Gotcha, makes sense how it goes faster then. Thanks for the information guys I was just wondering if there was anyway I could do the same process without having a nice jacketed conical. I know there are ways with converted chest freezers and what not. Hoping some day to start my own brewery :) I think we all have that dream, but I am really considering it. This is turning into not just a hobby, but a passion. Just got my 3 kegs to convert to keggles, gotta start somewhere.

Thanks again guys for the info,

cheers :mug:

Back