Beer in Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formito

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm an east coaster(Wilmington, DE) but I'm traveling out to Seattle for a week on business and I wanted to get a good idea of some beers to try that aren't available in my area. Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to try out the infamous Pliny as a start if I can find it.

Try a Mac and Jacks as their brewery is just outside Seattle in Redmond. They give brewery tours on Sunday afternoons. Just up the road in Woodinville is the Red Hook brewery. They also give tours.

There are a bunch of brew pubs in the area too and you should visit all of them. :D:drunk:

I don't know what isn't available where you are, but here are some of my favorite Pacific NW brews:

Diamond Knot has a good IPA, very hoppy.

The Elysian brewery on Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle is very good (also has a location down near the football and baseball stadiums. They must have 20 different beers.

Elliot Bay brewery has some interesting ales made with Belgian yeast ... Basically several "standards" like IPA, pale, red, etc. made with Belgian yeast. There is a brew pub in West Seattle neighborhood and a new location opening in the Lake City neighborhood soon.

My current favorite beer is Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. Not sure where you can find it on tap, but is easy to find in bottles.

Deschutes brewery has many good brews.

Georgetown brewery is another Seattle brewery with brews on tap all over the city.

Hales Ales has a good brew pub.

There's always Redhook, but it's not as good as it was back in the mid '90s, plus you can probably get that back east.

Maritime Pacific is in the Ballard neighborhood.

There are more breweries out here than you can imagine.

Do you know what part of town you'll be in? I could maybe suggest some other bars/pubs.

Enjoy!

I second mac and jacks african amber. Its still my favorite beer. You should probably try a manny's as well. Shouldnt have any problems finding them on tap in western wa.

Try a Mac and Jacks as their brewery is just outside Seattle in Redmond. They give brewery tours on Sunday afternoons. Just up the road in Woodinville is the Red Hook brewery. They also give tours.

There are a bunch of brew pubs in the area too and you should visit all of them. :D:drunk:

sounds good. Ive had redhook before, but never had mac and jacks. thats going on my list. anything else on the west coast that I cant get here in the east?

Here is an early welcome from the PCNW!!!

There is definitely NOT a shortage of great places in Seattle for beer. Make sure you hit up Naked City Brewery & Taphouse (started by a member here). Brouwer's Cafe is a pretty cool place as well...

If you can, try anything from Black Raven! The Trickster IPA is one of my favorites! You may even be able to hit up the Brewery, if you have a vehicle.

:mug:

+1 Black Raven. I forgot about that one. There are sooooo many good ones out here. :)

http://russianriverbrewing.com/washington-distributor/
That's where Russian River sells beer in Washington if you're looking to track down Pliny. I'd call ahead first though...

I like Stumbling Monk, Beveridge Place, Naked City Taphouse and Brouwer's Cafe... Even the Taphouse right downtown has 160 beers on tap if you're stuck there for some reason... Lots of brewpubs and breweries to visit though: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18

Elysian is fun... Quinn's right down the street had Ninkasi Total Domination, as mentioned above, last time I passed by, but who knows now. Good food at Quinn's, they also sell Russian River.

I'm an east coaster and have been living out here for a few years now, and I must say that Seattle has TONS of microbrews. My favorites right now are from a little brewery called the Fremont brewery, try anything by them. Manny's and Mac and Jacks are the 'mainstream' craft beers here, along with Red Hook, Pyramid, and Widmer, and they are alright...nothing special IMO, but decent. Deschutes makes some really good beers..especially Inversion and an organic beer they make. Ninkasi makes some great beers. Just head to about any bar and Seattle and you will quickly realize that the it is kind of difficult to find BMC, and that craft beers are the norm. Have fun!

http://russianriverbrewing.com/washington-distributor/
That's where Russian River sells beer in Washington if you're looking to track down Pliny. I'd call ahead first though...

I like Stumbling Monk, Beveridge Place, Naked City Taphouse and Brouwer's Cafe... Even the Taphouse right downtown has 160 beers on tap if you're stuck there for some reason... Lots of brewpubs and breweries to visit though: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18

Elysian is fun... Quinn's right down the street had Ninkasi Total Domination, as mentioned above, last time I passed by, but who knows now. Good food at Quinn's, they also sell Russian River.

HAH! The stumbling monk..good times...I don't think they even have a beer on tap there less than 9% alcohol! Silver City :rockin:

Back