Early start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlife

Reaction score
Look what I have growing already... seems a bit early

2011-04-18_19-06-02_332.jpg

Hey when they ready they ready. Guess ur hops are as sick of winter as i am(it snowed here yesterday) and are ready to go to town.

By chance is it on the south side of the building? Like tchuklobrau said, they go when its time. Soil temps are what gets them up and movin.

If you are expecting cold temps before spring really gets going, you can cut those bines back

i didnt find it weird to get bines this early (they are about 5 foot tall). the start of side growth pictured in the middle is what surprised me. yes its the south side of my house.

You live in cinci ohio and have 5ft of growth. by all means yes it is to early scold them and tell em to stop. no seriously you have 5 ft already I am so jealous. nature is what nature is must be u have it better there than here.

I typically cut my first runners back until May. I've been told that it increases production through the rest of the season and promotes a healthier plant, but of course that's hearsay at this point and i have no basis of comparison.

That being said, i don't think i'd cut something that's now 5 feet high, though. It'd be like circumcising your teenager...

the start of side growth pictured in the middle is what surprised me. yes its the south side of my house.

In the picture it looks like the tip of that particular vine was broken/clipped off. If that is the case, the buds located at the leaf nodes would be stimulated to grow earlier than normal and will most likely grow vegetatively until the day length begins to shorten - at that point they should begin to 'burr'.

If the growing tip wasn't broken off, I have no idea why the laterals would begin to develop this early. Good luck.

Back