Victory Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
LHBS doesn't have the Victory called for in my rye pale ale recipe. I'm planning on subbing Biscuit. "How to Brew" says they're very similar, though Victory has a bit more of a "nutty" flavor, and it imparts orange highlights versus the deep amber of biscuit. My question is this: does anyone routinely brew a recipe using Victory that he would consider substantially impaired by a substitution of Biscuit?

Thanks in advance.

Victory is Briess' trade name for Biscuit malt. There is always going to be some difference between maltsters, but they are generally interchangeable.

You all grain or extract brewing? If all grain, you could try just using Maris Otter base malt... If you buy hole grain, you might try toasting a bit of either slightly to get a little more to them. Or just order Victory malt from one of the online stores and brew once it arrives...

I have Victory on my list of 'essential' grains to have on hand... I have 12oz left right now, so I'm good for at least two more brews.

Arcane, I have you down, then, as a "no". Golddiggie, thanks for your comments, but you must have missed my question: "My question is this: does anyone routinely brew a recipe using Victory that he would consider substantially impaired by a substitution of Biscuit?"

I've not brewed enough, yet, to make any one recipe 'routinely'... I am about to brew an ESB (or EESB) for a second time. That recipe includes Victory malt... Now that I think about it a bit, I need to increase the amount, since the first time I used 1/2 UK 2 Row and 1/2 MO for the base malts (roughly)... Not about to open up the sack of MO just for this one brew... Besides, it's on the bottom of the pile. :rockin:

Yeah, I use victory in one of my IPA formulations and in a brown ale. In the brown ale, it's totally exchangeable with biscuit, since it's a secondary grace note in the brew. As the only specialty malt in the IPA, I might worry a little, although not enough to stop me from brewing it if that was all I had access to. I've also never tried a side-by-side comparison (I'm in driving distance of 3 brewstores, so that situation seems unlikely for me).

I brew with victory all the time and substitute biscuit when ever I run out of victory and have had no noticeable difference, I'm all for it

Latest posts

Back