what is your go-to cheap beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Genesee bock beer. It's delicious, got a nice malty sweetness, and costs 6 bucks a 12 pack.
_dsa0013.gif

Wow...never had that. But it looks to be a good option for cheap.

My friends like to call me a beer snob because when I go out to drink a beer, I refuse to drink cheaper beers. I go for stuff that costs 15-20 a bottle most times.

I don't concider myself a snob because when I just want to relax and watch a game, I'll pick up a 30 pack of keystone (not all for me) for 13 bucks.

can't drink cheap beer anymore, but if i had to, i guess i'd go for sam adams

Saying "I guess I'd go for Sam Adams" is like saying "I guess I'd drive a porsche if I can't have a ferrari."

I think Sam Adams makes some great beer, and if it wasn't for them, there'd be no craft beer industry right now. I wouldn't concider it a cheap beer.

being a young recently removed from college i go for the bud light or miller lite...who ever has the best sale when i go to the store

I don't keep much of what may be refereed to a "cheep beer"around, unless dad is on town. But my daily drinker is SNPA.

Saying "I guess I'd go for Sam Adams" is like saying "I guess I'd drive a porsche if I can't have a ferrari."

I think Sam Adams makes some great beer, and if it wasn't for them, there'd be no craft beer industry right now. I wouldn't concider it a cheap beer.

not trying to offend anyone or slam sam adams, as yes, they make a fine beer, and got homebrewing started (including me). i just can't drink cheap beer

Sam Adams Lager
Goose Island Honkers Ale
Recently found that Molson Canadian is pretty decent for a cheap pilsner
Never seen Genesee, but its rating on BA and the cost you're saying make it seem like a fantastic value.

Pabst, if I'm "slumming". What the heck, it's nice to drink 12 in an afternoon without becoming intoxicated, or feeling bloated or full.

SNPA is my go-to. Not particularly cheap, but can be had on sale about $1 a bottle. If I'm camping I'll make an exception and drink BMC lite just cuz it's easy to drink that stuff all day without getting really drunk.

I'm down with the Genesee Bock Beer..

I need to find some of that floppin crappie for fishing season this year!

Budweiser.

I know its pretty much crap beer, but sometimes when we have a get together, not all my friends enjoy good beer, so I grab a 12'er of Bud. Heck sometimes I can even stomach it myself.

As far a cheap beer goes: IT DON'T MATTER NONE, SON!

a good 'cheap' beer is a reachable cheap beer.

IMO there's no such thing as a good cheap beer, so why bother? Cheap beer = cheap ingredients = tastes like river water, not to mention how desperately Bud/Miller try to run craft brewers out of the market by any means necessary. I refuse to support any of them.

The cheapest I drink is Sam Adams because it at least has some flavor. I'll usually opt for a 22 oz bottle of something good for $5 or hit up my local liquor store which sells individual 12 oz bottles of everything they carry so I can create my own 4-pack for around $5.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Strongly disagree.

Any reasoning behind that comment? Sam Adams is the biggest produced craft beer, so it gets a lot of flac because they can produce good beer at a lower price. To me...that doesn't make it cheap, that makes them smart. If 3 floyds or Founders got that big, people would be saying the same thing.

That being said...they pretty much created the craft brewing market. If it wasn't for them, craft beer wouldn't have spread so quickly across the entire country. Wherever you are...you can find SA. Because of this, more people got into craft beer, and more breweries followed.

As for this thread...I feel like some of the beers being listed aren't very "cheap". Maybe cheap in craft standards...but not cheap in beer standards. I want to see things like Icehouse and King Cobra listed, haha.

SNPA is a quick thoughtless 12'er from the grocery store for the house or a weekend camping. Miller lite is also welcome in early spring/summer at my house and in my camper.

That being said...they pretty much created the craft brewing market. If it wasn't for them, craft beer wouldn't have spread so quickly across the entire country. Wherever you are...you can find SA....

I'll drink a Sam Adams as a "low" choice, but prefer a SNPA if I can find it...

also respectfully disagree with statement above -

According to Wikipedia, Sierra Nevada link pre-dates Boston Brewing Company link by 5 years ---

That being said...they pretty much created the craft brewing market.
No they didn't. There were many other craft breweries before Boston Beer Company came along. There was a craft brewing market long before BBC was formed.

If it wasn't for them, craft beer wouldn't have spread so quickly across the entire country.
Sierra Nevada distributed to other states long before BBC. SN was available in my area long before SA.

Boston Beer Company is not an innovator.

I'm still collecting pop off bottles so the cheapest I will buy is Deschutes or SNPA. However, I went out riding with some family last weekend and all we could take were cans and I consumed quite a bit of Crudweiser.

My go-to cheap beers are PBR, the new Schlitz, and Coors Original.

That last one is purely because I used to live directly across the street from the brewery in Golden.

If I'm out riding the motorcycle then I'll drink Miller Lite when we stop for a break. If I'm fishing or camping I'll drink Ice House. Otherwise the cheapest I go is Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams.

I'll drink a Sam Adams as a "low" choice, but prefer a SNPA if I can find it...

also respectfully disagree with statement above -

According to Wikipedia, Sierra Nevada link pre-dates Boston Brewing Company link by 5 years ---

No they didn't. There were many other craft breweries before Boston Beer Company came along. There was a craft brewing market long before BBC was formed.

Sierra Nevada distributed to other states long before BBC. SN was available in my area long before SA.

Boston Beer Company is not an innovator.

I'm not saying that SA was the first craft brewery. I'm saying that if you look at it all...who has done more for the industry as far as growth? I bet if you polled 100 random beer drinkers...more of them have had SA than SN. Sierra Nevada is great, but it's not nearly as influential in the history of craft beer. I should say...American Craft beer.

I'll drink pretty much any cheap beer... Most of the places you go to in Las Vegas only have mass produced BMC products. Very few 'craft' beers (like SA) and only a very small number of places have microbrews. It seems to be getting better, though. 2 Yard Houses, a few BJs, a slowly increasing number of local breweries, and a small number of pubs with a diverse selection.

In most cases, you drink whatever cheap beer they have or you don't drink beer at all.

Back