Some things just make me laugh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Yesterday SWMBO brought home the latest issue of San Diego magazine because she saw it had an article on craft brewing in San Diego (actually calls San Diego the best city in America for craft brewing but they may be a little prejudiced). So last night I read through the article and it listed a liquor store in our neighborhood as one of about a dozen places to find a good selection of craft beer for sale. This surprised me since in my neighborhood people think you are really goin' for it if you have a six pack of Pacifico in your fridge.

Today I decided to stop in and see what they had. To my surprise there was a relatively decent supply there - two bays in the walk up cooler section. They had just about the full line from Stone and Ballast Point (local breweries for us) and probably 30 or so other good craft beers to choose from (no bargain pricing though).

Now for the funny part. As I mentioned, this isn't an "up scale" neighborhood so most of the store is BMC, cigarettes and junk food. So on the bottom shelf of the one cooler door and all of the next cooler are tasty things like 40's of BMC, 40's (or there about) bottles of Shmirnoff Ice, Zima and of course the Fosters Oil Cans.

:ban: I should of take a picture...

Actually I thought Zima was interesting.... sorta an alcoholic 7up. For some reason it seems to draw a lot of knee-jerk negative attention, which is unfortunate, and doubly so on a homebrew forum where people should be open to new stuff.

I'll man up - back in the day I drank Zima occasionally and Shmirnoff Ice as well. Back when I drank more mixed drinks than beer, I used to enjoy vodka & Squirt - not a lot of difference in flavor from a Zima. Oh, and did I mention that after a 50 mile cycling jaunt on a hot summer day, they tasted mighty refreshing:D

I have a wall of beer 100 feet from my front door that would make most men and women drool for days.

I will have to take a picture one of these days. I'll bet there are 40 different IPAs alone.

I'll man up - back in the day I drank Zima occasionally

I'll admit - I drank it too. Before they went national with Zima, the guys in college from the Nashville area used to bring cases of it back to school with them (carrying alcohol across state lines to party with underage college kids - nothing wrong there, right?) and it was quite popular.

I think what hurt them was that after it when national, it seemed that mostly girls drank it. Which meant that any college dude of the day had to stay away and stick with good ole Natty Light....

Back