Going All Grain: Bulk ingredient purchases...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
So I should have my 10 Gal MLT complete w/in the next week or two and have another cooler for HLT by than. Also, just got my 15 gal megapot & 50' IC.

So now what's the basic guideline for malts/hops to bulk buy & have on hand to be able to brew some simple, tasty, cheap beers my first few AG batches?

The only malt I buy in bulk is Maris Otter, and I usually buy 2 sacks at a time from the LHBS, but I usually only brew Special, and Extra Special Bitters. Depending on what you brew, you may find domestic 2 row or Pilsner malt could be more useful. I used to keep it in a plastic trash bin liner in a Rubbermaid bin, till the mice found it. I now keep it in pet food containers.
As for hops, check out Hops - available today from Puterbaugh Farms
Obviously, the hops you get will depend on the beers you make, but they have a very good selection. I'd also recommend a food saver for packaging the hops, before putting them in the freezer. They last a long time like that.

-a.

Right now the only thing I keep "in stock" is 2-row. In a pinch you can make alot of brews with just that. Many times when I've had to stay with the kids (when their sick from school), I usually don't know I'm staying til me and the wife decides who it's gonna be...usually 6-7 at night. So... using this site.... Home Grain Roasting

I do some home-roasting of malts. I've made the vienna and munich with pretty good results. Make a simple pale ale or blonde with the hops I have in the freezer and I always have a packet of Notty in the fridge... So...boring day at home...turns into a brew day. Sure it's probably cheaper to buy the malts (electricity and all) but in a pinch....

When ever I buy grain however I always buy more than the recipe calls for. So I do have a little 'stock' but not much....

Sack of marris otter no matter what (bitters, porters, pales, IPA etc). Pils if you like Belgian and German beers. Two pounds each of crystal 10,40,80 and 120. 5lbs each Vienna, Munich, and wheat. One pound of cascade or centennial, and one pound Northern Brewer and Willamette and you can brew quite a few things on a whim.

It really depends on what you want to brew, but I'd have a 55 of (atleast) one of the base malts, and a couple pounds of a couple crystals.

Back