Barley Crusher Motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweaty

Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at motorizing my BC and was wondering if I could get some ideas on gearmotors to use. I would like to stay away from pulleys if at all possible. Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I use a Bodine gearmotor I had left over from an old project.
My mill runs at 94 RPM.
To keep the footprint as small as possible I don't use the direct drive method.
The mill has been running for almost 10 years.
Do a search and you will find great ideas.

Grain_Mill2.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I am using a 1725 RPM 120 vac motor direct drive to the shaft of the crusher and using a Hz reducer that I got from my electrical wholesale house for $58. I use a 1/2 hp motor that I got from Harbor Freight. The Hz reducer is 1000W or 10A. I would be happy to get more of these and send them out as mentioned in another thread. They cost me $58 you all can have them for $58 just pay the paypal and shipping. They had about 5 on the shelves when I was there, but I am sure they can order more.
Good luck on the build
Cheers
Jay

I just bought this DC Motor off Ebay for $10.00. The motor is 1/8 HP. works on 130 VDC, is 123 RPM and has 45 lbs/in Torque. I already have a PWM DC Motor Controller that will give me 130VDC at up to a 1/2 HP and more than enough current at stall speed.

!BVBo-rw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjkEjlLmZBiZBKQ,QY1QIQ~~_35.JPG

My thinking on how to power my mill (an "ugly junk" Corona mill that is being driven by an old 1/2" drill at present, and which grinds my grain bill just fine, thank you very much) ran something like this:

1. The trouble with AC is that the motors spin too fast, unless you use a pulley/belt to reduce RPM, which can be hard on the bearings of your crusher, and which require a shroud be constructed for safety. Either that or another technical accessory, such as the Hz controller specified above. You may get lucky and find a cheap AC gearmotor that will do that job, but I'm not counting on finding one cheap, and I don't want to spend any more on a power unit than I did on my mill ($24 delivered).

The trouble with DC is all the various voltages out there (such as the 130V motor above requiring a special power supply to run it)........except one, the familiar 12VDC that powers all manner of accessories on our vehicles.

Any auto wrecking yard ought to have mass quantities of this stuff, and pretty cheap if you're not looking for anything special. The most obvious geared-down low RPM motor would be a wiper unit. There are also other things.....I saw a transfer case motor coupled to a grinder in a You Tube video, only about 100 rpm. Great!

Apart from an old 12V / 25A power supply I have around about as massive as two concrete blocks, I also have a deep-cycle 12V battery that does absolutely nothing but sit there as backup power for one of my sump pumps. If you think about it, you probably have some source of 12V power sitting around....one of those little booster box things to start your car probably packs enough juice to do a batch of grain, etc.

Does something like this need a speed controller or just hook up an on/off switch and its good to go?

Nope, no speed controller needed. All you have to do is wire it to 115 VAC and you are set. You can pull the gear off the motor and direct couple the motor to your mill with a lovejoy coupler.

Back