!!!!!!!!!!!GABF 2008 Results are in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Immediately discredited...OE 800 took bronze in the international pilsner category, and Hurricane High Gravity won GOLD in a specialty category. WTF?

Yeah, true that some of the marcos win some of the metals.

My buds at Firestone in Paso won the IPA and many others!! That is the real deal.

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine for the macros to win medals. In fact, they SHOULD win medals in the American lager categories. But OE 800 and Hurricane High Gravity?!?! YGBFSM!

Makes me wonder how bad the other entries were!!!

OE??? That crap isn't fit for man or beast!!

What would you pair that with? Cat b-b-q??

MOD EDIT: Threads merged.

More than 100 judges labored for three days to evaluate over 2,900 beers and pick the best entries and top breweries for this year’s Great American Beer Festival. A total of 222 medals were awarded in 75 beer style categories and top breweries and brewers were designated based on the total number of medals won. The five top awards recognize small, medium and large breweries and small and large brewpubs. The awards went to the following breweries:

2008 Great American Beer Festival Results

WA breweries came away with a combined 7 medals. This includes 3 for Pyramid who also took Mid-Size Brewing Co. of the year. (Some of these beers could very well have been brewed at their facilities in Oregon or California)

Kudos to Big Time Brewer Bill Jenkins and AHA member Jeff Niggemeyer who took gold in the Pro-Am Competition!

I'm excited about Barley Bros. getting a bronze for their double espresso stout. Really good beer and super nice guys.

Sad to see Foothills here in NC not make the list this year.

Oh well.

Their beers were great. My wife and I tried all of them (that only happened at a handful of other tables). I was ignorant that a southern brewery could do such wonderful things with barley, yeast, hops and water. I am glad I was informed that one could.

My take on the winner's list is that if it fits the category perfectly enough to win, then the beer becomes less interesting. For me it's always about the things that push the beer out of category that make me want to have another pint. The obvious exception is the Experimental beer category. Cambridge Brewing Company had me back for seconds (one of only three beers to do so this year).

omg....hahaha ...name cracked me up!

German-Style Wheat Ale
Gold: I’m Half the Beer I Used to Be, BJ’s Restaurant & Brewery - Chandler,
Huntington Beach, CA

Old Milwaukee Light? What a joke!

'American Moldy Bread Style Light Lager'

On a lighter note, Oregon represented with 19 medals.

Hooray for my local winners and other great beers I got to try:

I was going to list all the Colorado beers that won medals, but stopped after counting up 29(!) of them. I need to keep this list in my car for my next visit to Tipsy's Liquor.

Also, hooray for the judges -- that much tasting has to be a chore, and must really burn out the palate.

Back