The Transfiguration IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
So this idea and subsequent thread is pretty awesome:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/twelve-hopostles-154488/

I have no interest whatsoever in duplicating this but someone made the suggestion of combining three of those and making The Transfiguration. I am going to do that because I love the novelty of it.

But I need some help because I've not worked with 2 of the hops and I've never used Pale or Amber malt.

James (Cascade)
John (Zeus)
Peter (Vanguard)

3.3lbs of Sorghum
1.8lbs of Brown Rice Syrup

Beyond that I'm unsure. I'm thinking I would like this to be clear so probably 1lb of clear candi syrup. But any suggestions on what grains I could use to help "recreate" the malts or should I go with buckwheat honey?

Also, what should the hop schedule look like with those hops?

Thanks!!

Zeus = Columbus, there are three identical hops sold under different trade names (Columbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus, abbreviated commonly as CTZ), if that helps. CTZ is a high-alpha variety with earthy, resiny, and grapefruity character (in my experience), one of the four C's of American Hops (Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook). Vanguard is a German-style hop bred in American from Hallertauer parentage, with a very very low cohumulone content, low-to-medium alpha acids, and herbal/woody flavor profile. Cascade, I take it you are familiar with?

I'd suggest some amber candi syrup instead of clear if the original recipe calls for amber malt. Also add plenty of medium-toasted millet, or maybe 50/50 millet and steel-cut oats, at the rate of AT LEAST 1 lb/gallon. Make sure you don't steep too hot, you want to avoid gelatinizing the starches (unless you plan to throw in some enzymes).

Hop-wise, I'd probably bitter with columbus and vanguard, use cascade and vanguard as finishing hops, and maybe put some of all three in between 30 and 15 for flavor. Aim for about 70 IBUs. Hope that helps!

Thank you! This is what I have put together. I'm planning on brewing this in January-February and then drinking it in the spring.

5 Gallon Batch
3lbs millet medium toasted
3lbs oats medium toasted

3.3lbs sorghum syrup
1.8lbs brown rice syrup
1lb D-45 Candi Syrup

Hops:

60 min ¼ Oz Vanguard
60 min ½ Oz Zeus
30 min ½ Oz Zeus
25 min ½ Oz Vanguard
20 min ½ Oz Cascade
5 min ½ Oz Cascade
1 min ½ Oz Vanguard

8 oz maltodextrine

Probably S-04 yeast

I've read some about head stabilizing powder recently. Anyone know what that is?

Awesome, glad to see someone running with this idea.

I'm not sure the amber syrup will be a good sub for amber malt; the amber malt has some substantial toastiness to it in addition to the sweet caramel. Perhaps your toasted millet will cover for that though; I'm not familiar with g/f grain. Having tasted all of the 12, I found a full pound of amber malt to be a little strong, we probably could've used half as much.

Also, continual hopping = lots of hops in the kettle. Don't bother with a ball valve or siphon; even with a filter there's just too many hops. Get a strong friend and pour it into another vessel lined with a large hop bag (e.g. Home Depot 5g paint strainer)...then squeeze the bag to get the wort out.

Your hop schedule looks fine, all 3 of those hops are versatile. We used 1/2 oz dry hop; I would bump that up...maybe 1/2oz of each of them.

We used 1272 yeast and it was great, but I'm sure S-04 would also be good. They finished ~1.015.

Oh, and the mash is a prime opportunity to read through Mark 9.

Great, thanks for the feedback! Maybe I will up the millet--I have found the last time I used it, it helped impart some toasty flavors.

Tytanium it sounds like you are recommending I dry hop 1/2 oz one of each, is this correct? I will make sure I do so!

Reading Scripture while brewing? Two of my favorite things to do combined and I'd never thought of it before. Will do.

Yes, 1/2 oz of each, 1.5 oz total. They should blend nicely. I've done a Vanguard / Cascade blend before and loved it. CTZ should fit right in too.

And reading definitely recommended. God reveals himself through creation, right? ...brewing is certainly no exception; one of the greatest divine mysteries, that such flavor could be hidden and then discovered.

Back