Need Applewood Smoked Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfrayer

Reaction score
I am looking for a good Applewood Smoked Porter Recipe for my next batch. Is there anyone that knows where to find a good recipe?

Try our database!

We have a few Smoked Porter recipes--it doesn't really matter (in the big scheme) if the wood that the grain is smoked with is apple, cherry, alder, etc., as long as it is a clean smoking wood.

I do a smoked porter with 90% alder, and 10% Hickory. Bacon beer. Everyone loves it when I have it on tap.

My favorite is alder wood, it is delicate and works really well with the subtle roastiness of a porter. I use 10% in my recipe, however I smoke the grains (Munich) for a loner time, so the flavor is quite intense.
You can just take any smoked porter recipe, even a regular porter that you might have brewed and liked, and throw in an extra 10% pale grain that you have smoked.

This looks like the recipe i'm going to use, anyone every used this one?

(5 gallons, partial mash)

This is a robust, almost stout-like porter, similar to the beer that Greg Noonan brews at the Vermont Pub & Brewery in Burlington.

Ingredients:

o 2 lbs. pale malt
o 2 lbs. smoked malt
o 0.5 lb. black malt
o 0.5 lb. chocolate malt
o 3 lbs. unhopped dark
dry malt extract
o 3/4 oz. Chinook hops
(12% alpha acid, 9 AAUs)
o 3/4 oz. Goldings hops
(4% alpha acid, 3 AAUs)
o English ale yeast slurry
(Wyeast 1098)
o 2/3 cup corn sugar to prime

Step by Step:
A note on the malt: You can custom-smoke it over maple and apple, or you can buy a mix of half rauchmalt, half peated malt.
Heat 9 qt. water to 164° F. Crush grains, mix into liquor and hold 75 min. at 152° F. Runoff and sparge with 12 qt. at 168° F. Add the dry malt, mix well. Raise to boiling, add Chinook hops.
Boil 60 min., add Goldings hops, boil 5 min. Remove from heat, cool and add to fermenter with chilled pre-boiled water to make 5.25 gal. When cooled to 68° F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for three weeks at 65° F, rack to secondary and condition three weeks at 55° F. Prime with corn sugar and bottle. Condition three weeks at 45° F.

OG = 1.055 (13.75° Plato)
TG = 1.016
Bitterness: 40 IBUs

Going to smoke the malt over applewood for about 3 hours at no more than 150 degrees. I've had the Cask Conditioned Hand Drawn Applewood Smoked Porter at the Vermont Brewery, and its one of the best beers I've ever had.

I made a batch based on that recipe last winter (it's from BYO right?). It was probably my favorite beer I've made. I don't have my notes on hand, but I think I used half rauchmalt and half peat-smoked malt for the smoked grain, and my LHBS owner helped convert the partial-mash recipe to extract with steeping grains. I've got to make that again this winter.

You might want to use light DME instead of dark, who knows what makes it dark, plus you are already adding some dark grains. I would also use an English bittering hop because Chinook is very strong and the flavor might interfere with the delicate smokiness, plus you are using English finishing hops and English yeast. Also, I would suggest smoking the malt for a shorter period of time, 3 hours is a long time and the grains might become very smokey, almost harsh.

Back