Wyeast Belgian Saison advice (AGAIN.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
Man, this Wyeast 3724 is REALLY finicky.

The recommended temperature is 75-95 F. The closet where I keep my fermenter was hovering right around 80-83, but since the weather has started to get a little cooler, it has dropped to 75ish, and drops to about 70ish at night. I bought a small space heater to keep my closet warm, but I don't want to stress my yeast too much. Is this going to be an issue? I've bumped it back up to around 80 in there. I'm trying to keep it at fairly constant temp, but it is requiring me to check it a hell of a lot.

I've got it in secondary and it's still bubbling here and there.

I've only brewed one beer with this yeast but temp control seems to be essential. I got a big plastic tub from target and an aquarium heater and did it that way. Cost about $45 all told. I also swirled the fermenter once or twice a day (avoiding splashing) to keep the yeast in suspension. It finished out at 1.007 and tastes great. Next time you might want to leave it on the primary yeast cake so you have as much yeast as possible working for you. If it poops out you can always throw in a neutral dry yeast and let that do the work for you. Good luck.

You're not going to stress 3724 out with high temps. That thing needs 85+ to finish out almost as a rule. Did you check the gravity before you took it off the yeast cake and put it into another fermentor? If it wasn't done after before you racked, you may have some large attenuation issues. No bad news about that though, use your second fermentation vessel for its true purpose; throw some brett in there and funk it up! The combo is better than 3724 alone IMO.

I'm kind of a newbie so no, I didn't take a gravity reading before I racked it to secondary. But the good news is that it IS still coming down just fine. I just need to keep the temperature cranked and let it do it's thing.

I've had a weird problem with this yeast recently. I'm doing a Saison with it and it immediately spit out these weird flavors (14 days after adding the yeast). The only other place I've tasted them was in the Stout that contains a Roselare blend. This made me think it was infected but there isn't any weird growth on the top and the tastes haven't gotten to out of control after 2 more weeks. Other people have described them as leathery and I think it might be a farmhouse type of taste.

I know people are just going to try and tell me that it's infected with brett but I'm thinking it really might not be. Do you think it's possible to get some of these same tastes out of this yeast just from strange fermentation conditions (temperature?).

other info: It only went down ten points, from 1032 to 1.022 in those 14 days. I undershot my OG by a few points (was aiming at an already-low 38).

probably going to blend it with a dark saison, blend the other half with a normal saison, and then add brett b into the latter like you'd suggested. Or maybe I blend it all with a darker saison and add brett l?

Back