Beer Alchemy now on iPhone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You son of a ***** XD

I'll c/p what I had in my thread that totally wasn't a duplicate when I started it:

I don't know how much I need a mobile app -- I've been having fun doing the calculations myself in a notebook -- but I figure it could be good with the syncing feature for going to the LHBS, etc. But... it's $15. I know there are some apps that are more than $5 or $10 that actually get purchased, but -- no offense to Kent Place -- there's no way I need a homebrewing app enough to pay more than $3 for it. If there were an intro price or a 'you have BA and get a discount' thing then maybe, but...

http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/products/BeerAlchemyTouch.html

Thanks Kent Place Software!:ban:

Just installed it... wireless sync is awesome. It is crashing when I try to access one batch... will need to look into that as it's the batch I plan to brew this week.
If you get in touch with me at support at kentplacesoftware.com address I'd like to look at the batch that's crashing.

As for the price, it's your money, you decide if you want to pay. If other people want to charge a dollar a go that's their decision and not one I plan on copying.

I would however like to do bundle pricing but it's not currently feasible using the AppStore.

I love brewmath and would love to switch to this for most of my brewing needs. I love the idea of being able to pull it out and work up a recipe or having the recipes with me at club and the like. I see you can import files, I am currently using beersmith, is there any way to import these recipes or would I have to enter them all manually? That would probably be a deal breaker.

I am currently using beersmith, is there any way to import these recipes or would I have to enter them all manually? That would probably be a deal breaker.
In theory yes...but currently there's a few problems with BeerXML import. I have fixed them but I'm now waiting on Apple to approve the 1.0.1 update.

This sort of delay is one of the things you have to deal with. On the Mac I can upload a fix within minutes of fixing it - on the iPhone it takes a week.

In theory yes...but currently there's a few problems with BeerXML import. I have fixed them but I'm now waiting on Apple to approve the 1.0.1 update.

This sort of delay is one of the things you have to deal with. On the Mac I can upload a fix within minutes of fixing it - on the iPhone it takes a week.
I understand, I'll probably wait till 1.0.1 then. I love your products though and if I had a mac I would use Beer Alchemy, it's pretty slick.

Brewpal rocks, and it's .99 cents
Then go post in the Brewpal thread about it.

If Brewpal does everything you want then great. BeerAlchemy Touch does rather more in terms of being walkabout record of all your recipes and your inventory , has syncing with BA on the Mac and can import export BeerXML and Promash files (or at least it will import BeerXML properly in 1.0.1 :eek:).

I looked at Brewpal and if I thought it was the answer to everyone's needs I wouldn't have bothered taking up hundreds of hours of my free time writing BeerAlchemy Touch.

as much as the price turns me off, the screenshots turn me on. great looking program. I may just buy it for the wireless syncing (for inventory)

I have already paid the 30 dollars or whatever for beer alchemy, which I love. And I have bought brew math, which I also enjoy. But I cannot get myself to pay 15 more dollars for redundant features. I just want to fool around with some recipe formulations during my morning commute. I'll probably just buy brewpal and copy the delicious ideas I come up with on that into Beer Alchemy by hand.

An export of the parent recipe (which will include the batch) in .bar format (BeerAlchemy's native format) will do at this stage.

Although I understand that some may think that the price is a little high, the program does have more features that some others out there. Thanks for the great software and I hope to try it soon. Could anyone tell me more about the export function? How does it export and what format? I'm on a PC and use BeerSmith, but would like to import into BS.

I wish there was something similar for the PC. While I should have jumped to a Mac years ago, I am still in the stone ages here.

If I had the correct hardware I would run out to get both the parent app and the iphone app. The wireless synching is a real cool feature that I would love.

How does it export and what format? I'm on a PC and use BeerSmith, but would like to import into BS.
It does it by a built in web server. Both your computer and the device need to be on the same wireless network (this can be a computer-to-computer network without a router). The formats are BeerXML (BeerSmith can use this), .rec (Promash) and BeerAlchemy's native .bar format. On the export side you navigate lists of groups and recipes and click on them to download them in the format you want. For import, you upload your recipes to the iPhone and then click a button to import them.

Currently, the BeerXML import is a bit broken but it should be fixed shortly when Apple approves the 1.0.1 update.

I down loaded this to my touch a few days ago, and Like it a lot. I have been using beer alchemy for about 3 years now on my mac ,may be more, and think its a great program. I have run into one issue while changing the amounts of the fermentables in a recipe caused the program to crash. I had to delete the grain and replace it, then adjust the amount. I sure this is a problem that will be resolved soon.

definitely worth the 14.50.

does it come with calculators that brew math has? Also, couldn't tell from the screen shots, but will it give you the step-by-step instructions that you can print out from the mac version?

does it come with calculators that brew math has?
Currently no. But they're coming. I do still intend to keep selling BrewMath but BeerAlchemy Touch will include that functionality (albeit it will look different). The reason to keep selling BrewMath is that some people may just use the free BeerAlchemy Viewer app (which will do no editing, foreign file format importing etc) and may still want the calculations. The Viewer app is in the approval queue...
Also, couldn't tell from the screen shots, but will it give you the step-by-step instructions that you can print out from the mac version?
Yes, but you can't print them out as the iPhone doesn't have print support. The instructions are viewable on the device. I can't recall if the file export will export the instructions. If not, it's not a big deal to add it so you then could print it off your desktop computer via the browser... but it's far from seamless to have to do it that way

thanks. I wasn't clear, though. I don't really think i need to be able to print from the iphone, i just used that as a descriptor for the instructions.

i think having the calculators, along with the recipes and instructions would be worth it, but i'd really hate to have to buy both BA Touch and Brew Math just to have the same functionality of BA. I guess what i'm saying is i'd like to have BA, or as close as i could come, on the iphone, which i think is where you are headed.

Maybe I wasn't clear either, if you buy BeerAlchemy Touch then, when the feature is released, you will get the calculators for free built into the app. If you just use the free app (BeerAlchemy Viewer - not yet available) then you will still need to buy BrewMath if you want those calculators.

If you already have BrewMath and have bought (or are thinking of buying) BeerAlchemy Touch, I can't give discounts or refunds due to the way the AppStore works.

I guess what i'm saying is i'd like to have BA, or as close as i could come, on the iphone, which i think is where you are headed.
As much as is reasonable practicable, yes. There are considerable constraints imposed by the device. If everyone had an iPhone 3GS then these would ease considerably (much more usable memory) but I don't see that happening for a while.

I started using BeerAlchemy earlier this year and bought BrewMath so I didn't have to drag my macbook out into the garage on brewday (with everything going on I'm afraid I'll spill something on it and be SOL).

I just installed BeerAlchemy Touch, and I'm tickled to death that with it so far. I've already got it synced and will be very unproductive at work today, looking over my recipes, creating new ones and trying everything out! :rockin:

Steve, I love all the software and the excellent customer support! Keep up the great work! :mug:

Steve, i have an odd question. If you can create what amounts to a smaller version of BA for the iphone and have it sync with a computer, is it possible to create a way to allow BA on two computers to sync to each other? I find myself creating recipes while listening to podcasts on my main machine, but also late at night on my laptop in the other room. It'd be nice to be able to have everything automatically share between the machines without having to export and import. Since you are able to do it over a network already with the iphone, it doesn't seem like a stretch to make two computers able to sync, does it?

You can do this with an Automator script... That's what I do for my laptop and desktop. Synchs both ways so it does not matter which one I update...

You can do this with an Automator script... That's what I do for my laptop and desktop. Synchs both ways so it does not matter which one I update...

that makes sense, though i've never used the automator really. I'm curious to see your script.

Automator aside, it just seemed like a cool feature for BA if it was possible.

Steve,

Love the app, thanks much for this! A couple of requests for the next update:

1) Please add a "Done" or "Save/Cancel" button on the entries with dials. Say, I wish to change the AA% on a hops used in a certain batch. I can dial in the amount, but how do I accept the new value without hitting the (equivalent of the) Back button on each entry? For a good example, use the Clock app, add an Alarm. Note the info above, the dials below, and the "Cancel" button on the left, "Save" on the right.

2) In the Recipe Groups page, I like how there are Ale and Lager categories.
A) Would it be possible to include ALL recipes in these two categories automatically?
B) Would it be possible to have the sample recipes added as another category (mainly for ease of deletion)?

3) For both BA and BA Touch, will it ever be possible to input amounts in TSP and TBSP (teaspoons and tablespoons)? I need to add five tsp of yeast nutrient for a five-gallon batch, 15 minutes before flame out. How best can I express that in the recipe for another person, short of adding it to the Notes section every time?

Other than that, I am really liking the app(s). The database isn't slow to access on my iPhone 3G, and things feel like they do in BA, the main reason I went with BA over BeerTools Pro. Keep up the good work, and don't let the $1 app purchasers sway you. You've got a very niche product, and you need to be compensated for your time, and 500 sales won't do that at $1 each. ;)

1) Please add a "Done" or "Save/Cancel" button on the entries with dials. Say, I wish to change the AA% on a hops used in a certain batch. I can dial in the amount, but how do I accept the new value without hitting the (equivalent of the) Back button on each entry? For a good example, use the Clock app, add an Alarm. Note the info above, the dials below, and the "Cancel" button on the left, "Save" on the right.
You don't actually have to back out after each individual change as if you make multiple changes they will all be saved when you back out. The only time this doesn't happen is if you make a bunch of changes then kill the app without going back a screen.
2) In the Recipe Groups page, I like how there are Ale and Lager categories.
A) Would it be possible to include ALL recipes in these two categories automatically?
B) Would it be possible to have the sample recipes added as another category (mainly for ease of deletion)?
The lager and ale categories are just normal groups like in BA on the Mac and were basically added to break up the example recipes. If you didn't install the examples then you don't get those groups created. I have thought about adding a way of removing the examples but haven't really decided where to put it - probably in the settings I guess.
3) For both BA and BA Touch, will it ever be possible to input amounts in TSP and TBSP (teaspoons and tablespoons)? I need to add five tsp of yeast nutrient for a five-gallon batch, 15 minutes before flame out. How best can I express that in the recipe for another person, short of adding it to the Notes section every time?
In a word, no. It breaks the connection with the automatic management of inventory. A tsp of this weighs a different amount to a teaspoon of something else (and often different to another teaspoon of the same stuff) so it wouldn't be possible to automatically adjust the inventory if you had those sorts of measurements. You could create a system where some things are managed and others not - indeed I had a go at it once in a beta but basically I thought it sucked so I killed it.
Other than that, I am really liking the app(s). The database isn't slow to access on my iPhone 3G, and things feel like they do in BA, the main reason I went with BA over BeerTools Pro. Keep up the good work, and don't let the $1 app purchasers sway you. You've got a very niche product, and you need to be compensated for your time, and 500 sales won't do that at $1 each. ;)
I'm pleased to say that it's been selling pretty well. I guess it will die down a bit after the initial rush but so far so good.

Any availability with the Palm Pre just yet? I'd like something to have on the go for when I visit the LHBS.

Thats too bad... Perhaps send it on over to the guys at Pre central and see if they can't modify it for you... I imagine if you are trying to market it to a wider audience and get a little more $$ there might be a few Web OS guys that would want to buy it...

Steve,

+1 to adding a "done" or "save" button on pages with dials for input.

Oddly, I've sent a few emails to Kent Place re: BeerAlchemy questions, but have not heard back on any of them. Couple that with no new blog entries on the site since October 21, and that makes me wonder if anyone's behind the wheel there. ???

Oddly, I've sent a few emails to Kent Place re: BeerAlchemy questions, but have not heard back on any of them. Couple that with no new blog entries on the site since October 21, and that makes me wonder if anyone's behind the wheel there. ???
Yes, I'm here. I do try to reply to emails but some do slip through the net. I do read all of them though. What's your real name and I'll see if I replied to them?

There have been six blog postings since October 21. The blog did move around then though so you may have an old link. The new url is

http://news.kentplacesoftware.com

This week I posted a minor update to the Mac version and there's updates for the iPhone and iPad versions in for approval with Apple. I'm also working on a major revamp of the Mac version. I've blogged on this but I don't have an ETA at the moment.

Back