Movies that freak you out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I saw "Interview with a vampire" yesterday... or at least most of it. That movie bloody freaked me out. Still have shakes thinking of it.

I can't stand anything with Whoopie Goldberg in it. She is scary enough without watching horror flicks... lol

LOL!!! Oy. Well.... I can't say the exact same thing about her. It seems that I have a rather different taste in movies then a lot of guys. I would even go so far as to say that many would be considered "Chick Flicks".

Arachnophobia. Saw that movie when I was about 8 years old at a friends house and didn't sleep a wink for the next three days. It actually made me a little afraid of spiders though that was a long time ago and I've grown out of it. People tell me that its a comedy more than a scary movie but I still can't bring myself to watch it again. Other than that though no movie has really freaked me out. I'm still looking for that perfect horror/thriller to get my heart going.

GOD said:
LOL!!! Oy. Well.... I can't say the exact same thing about her. It seems that I have a rather different taste in movies then a lot of guys. I would even go so far as to say that many would be considered "Chick Flicks".

You're just one of the sensitive types. A lot of chicks go for that. ;)

Don't tell anyone, but I would actualy rather watch some chick flicks than horror movies.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days was hillarious! You gotta love Kate Hudson!

She could ride on the back of my motorcycle any time.... :D

I saw Pet Cemetery after reading the book. The book didn't bother me but the movie...
I never did like cats but that movie really made me disdain them. I would never hurt one but I definitely want nothing to do with cats.

The most scared I can remember being wa swhen JAWS first came out. When the head popped out of the side of the boat when they were underwater, My girlfriend at the time jumped out of her seat and took me with her. I still have scars in my arm from her fingernails.:D

Terminator freaked me out when I was a kid, you just couldn't stop that thing, no matter what.
A couple years ago I watched the movies Signs at a rig in Cuba, then I had to walk a half-mile back to camp in the pitch black, down a road lined with 6-foot tall grass. Mr. Sphincter was plenty tight when I arrived.

I was VERY young when I saw the original Jaws. It was in a movie drive in and was the second movie of which my folks probably did not think I would be awake for... wow... that was scary.

dancingbarefoot said:
The movie as a whole was so-so, but I'll never forget Princess Sofia. :D

I wonder why you remember that part? Hmmm.... LOL Women! *wink*

----------

Kroll the Warrior King

The ones that get to me are about the Nazi death camps. Movies such as The Pianist, Schindlers List and Life is Beautiful.

Alien. When that guy was on the operating table an the alien burst out of his chest I wanted to bolt out of my chair and run out of the theater! I was stuck in the middle of the row, though, with friends on each side of me.

Clockwork Orange for me. Haven't watched it in ages though and sometimes those older movies when you watch them now don't cut it. Shining was like that for me. Watched exorcist a couple years ago and although the acting sucked it was still a good flick

Ceej said:
Seattle 1966ish. Three/Four-year-old me wants a drink of water and wanders in to see "The Deadly Mantis" devouring North America on TV.
OMG...I've been trying to remember the name of that movie. I saw it in the theatre in '58 or '59...i was six or seven. I had nightmares about that movie for weeks then, and that damn mantis still shows up in my dreams occasionally...almost 50 years later. :eek:

For some reason Unsolved Mysteries always creeped me out. I watched it a few weeks ago and got the same feeling. Creepy show esp. the ghost ones.

The terminator.
My folks made me go to bed before the end. I wish they would have let me stay up to see Arnold get crushed.

The Blob.
Had me climbing to the tops of trees for a few years.

Pet Semetary. The book was scary but the movie was nightmare scary.

Priscilla of the Desert
Enough said.:fro:

Lounge Lizard said:
I wonder why you remember that part? Hmmm.... LOL Women! *wink*

Come on, it was hilarious! :D (Not that I would ever do that. It'd be cruel to attack men where their egos are weakest. ;) )

I'm not too freaked out by movies, but The Silence of the Lambs always bothers me, because freaks like that are really out there. *shudder*

The original Japanese version of The Grudge (Juon) scared the bejeebus out of me. I couldn't even finish watching it. (But I have no idea if the American remake is that scary.)

As a kid The Omen and the original Willy Wonker and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out. These days, not much turns my stomach or freaks me too much. I actually tend to like the "complete evil" Apocalyptic themed movies, whether they were done well or not.

White Noise isn't horror-movie-scary but it freaked me out for a few days. I kept thinking I was seeing shadows flying over me when I would walk my dog at night.
It was a more realistic/could possibly happen kind of movie which I think can be more freaky than say Friday the 13th.

Anyone ever see Silent Night, Deadly Night? It was a cheesy horror move from the late 70's/early 80's. A kid's parents are killed by a guy in a Santa costume while the kid watches from the bushes. Later in life, the kid is working in a department store at Xmas time and the Santa called in sick so the store manager made him dress up as Santa and he went frickin' nuts.

Perhaps it's cheesy, but The Ring scared the crap outa me. I sort of enjoy letting myself get creeped out, so it's easy to do. I saw that movie when I lived in a big dormitory. It finished late at night and all the lights in the building were off, so I had a tough time getting myself up to my 4th floor room. Then I realized I had wet laundry sitting in the washer...in the basement. Needless to say, that load stayed sitting in the washer and my ass stayed in my brightly lit room!

The first ring was some creepy stuff. I think the best part of that movie was the video that the people watched. Reminded me of some good old NIN or TOOL videos.

The US version of the grudge was ok for scare factor but that stupid sarah michelle geller, god do i want to slap her.

When i was a kid the movie Critters had me up at night.

I can't believe that no one has "The Exorcist" on this list!!!!

I have never been able to sit through that one from beginning to end.
I tried to go with a group from work a couple of years ago when they re-released it in theaters. I got up and left the theater when she came down the stairs upside down!!

I still get picked on for that one!

The saddest part about this is that I had to call my wife to come pick me up as I had carpooled to the theater. . . .

ian said:
I can't believe that no one has "The Exorcist" on this list!!!!

I have never been able to sit through that one from beginning to end.
I tried to go with a group from work a couple of years ago when they re-released it in theaters. I got up and left the theater when she came down the stairs upside down!!

I saw that film while I was a Catholic seminarian, studying to be a priest. I think it works well for everyone, equally scary whether you believe in that type of stuff or not.

Truble said:
As a kid The Omen and the original Willy Wonker and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out.

The Oompa Loompas freaked me out when I was a kid. Crazy orange bastards!

The Exorcist didn't frighten me. Sure, I can find the theology gripping, but shock value? Nada.

dancingbarefoot said:

that entire chocolate factory flick was terror! what the heck kind of movie were they trying to make? talk about a bad trip.

Stir of Echoes was a great creepy movie. It came out around the same time as the Sixth Sense and was overshadowed by it at the time, but I thought it was better. Sixth Sense was a long, slow movie for a big payoff, Stir of Echoes was kind of creepy all the way through.

dancingbarefoot said:

The Exorcist didn't frighten me. Sure, I can find the theology gripping, but shock value? Nada.

Just wanted to be clear about something... are we talking about when it origianly came out. As in it came out or shortly after... or are we talking about now. Reason I ask is that if we are talking about watching it now... well compaired to others it might be pretty low on the scary list. We are pretty disensitized now. When this came out though compaired to others it was pretty up there.....its like the movie Alien. By todays standard... well... but when it first came out people were peeing their pants..... IMHO

GOD said:
Just wanted to be clear about something... are we talking about when it origianly came out. As in it came out or shortly after... or are we talking about now. Reason I ask is that if we are talking about watching it now... well compaired to others it might be pretty low on the scary list. We are pretty disensitized now. When this came out though compaired to others it was pretty up there.....its like the movie Alien. By todays standard... well... but when it first came out people were peeing their pants..... IMHO

The movie came out before I was born, so I didn't see it until my teen years (early 90s). I can agree that we're more desensitized than earlier, but my parents were pretty strict about not letting us watch scary or violent stuff. It wasn't that the topic wasn't potentially disturbing (I take the idea of demon possession and religious damnation pretty seriously), but I just found the movie very unspectacular.

dancingbarefoot said:
The movie came out before I was born, so I didn't see it until my teen years (early 90s). I can agree that we're more desensitized than earlier, but my parents were pretty strict about not letting us watch scary or violent stuff. It wasn't that the topic wasn't potentially disturbing (I take the idea of demon possession and religious damnation pretty seriously), but I just found the movie very unspectacular.

Yeah I can certainly agree with that. Last time I saw it I feel asleep.

TWolf10 said:
Stir of Echoes was a great creepy movie. It came out around the same time as the Sixth Sense and was overshadowed by it at the time, but I thought it was better. Sixth Sense was a long, slow movie for a big payoff, Stir of Echoes was kind of creepy all the way through.

I completely agree with you (except for the creepy part). I saw Stir of Echoes first and then the Sixth Sense and I though Stir of Echoes was a much better movie.

GOD said:

I was talking about when I first saw it as a kid. Probably saw it for the first time at 7 or 8 years old, so that would be 1980 or 1981 or so. Now, no big deal...

Its hard to find a scary movie these days. Some try though. I thought "The 13 ghosts" was a good try.

I thought What Lies Beneath was pretty good, come to think of it. Psychological thrillers are much creepier to me than horror flicks.

Back