Whirlpool Fail. Tips please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
I just can't seem to get whirlpooling down. Not even a little bit. Absolutely no trub cone or any type of trub settling with my procedure. I also us a kettle with a spigot, not a siphon. Here's my procedure. Please correct or give advice:

Whirfloc @ 5 min
Let kettle sit for 10 mins after flameout
Run immersion wort chiller for 35 mins
Whirlpool for 2 mins
Let sit for 30 mins before racking to fermenter

How are you whirlpooling? I think the problem may lie in your whirlpool process and length of time. 2 minutes is quite short. Give us more info and we can help

I have a theory that I have tested twice and want to do another couple of tests to make sure.

Your process above is roughly the same as mine, I use moss at 10 min
Chill with ic
Put it wherever gonna transfer from and give it a good stirring for about 30 seconds. Nothing to violent, just constant stir.

When it comes to opening the ball valve to drain, I start very slowly and increase slowly as I go.
The pressure exerted by the volume of wort at the valve creates a strong enough suction to actually draw materials from the central pile.
My last two batches have been relatively clear of tribe with a large pile in the middle.

brewkinger said:
When it comes to opening the ball valve to drain, I start very slowly and increase slowly as I go.

I will try that next time.

As for my actually whirlpool technique. I just stir as fast as I can for 2 minutes.

Back