Bottle capper broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southtownbrewer

Reaction score
Hi all, while attempting to bottle my American Wheat Saturday night, my bottle capper broke about 13 bottles in!!! Not sure what to do, I poured the remaining bottles back into the bottling bucket,very slowly by the way, and put a lid with an airlock on it. Is the beer going to be ok until I get a new capper, and if so then how long? Also will more priming sugar need to be added? Any help would be appreciated!! This is a great site, thanks

Sorry to hear about your perdicament, but its not so bad like you might think. A little inprovisment is all that is required. First off no more sugar is needed. The yeast that is in there will just have more to eat and cause more co2. Not a good idea in a bottle unless you want to make bottle bombs.

Next, I would hit it with a shot of c02, but I am thinking that you dont have a co2 tank, because you would have kegged it. If you dont have co2 available then put it in a warm place for the yeast can throw off a bit of co2 and protect the remaining beer from o2.

Next get a capper asap and finish bottling.

As a side thought if it happens again you could always saran wrap over the bottles and attach them with a rubberband or metal metal ties that come with garbage bags. Then all you do is poke a few holes in the top of the saranwrap for the co2 to excape. its also possible to use this method as a primary or a secondary, although I have never done a fermentation like this before, but I hear it does work.

hope this helps.

Back