So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was supposed to go out of town to visit family for x-mas this weekend, but a pregnant wife with the flu has changed that. Now that I have nothing to do, I plan on digging 5 lbs of frozen Japanese plums out of the back of the freezer and making a quick and dirty cider out of them.

Finally got my 10gal of Tasty APA brewed last night. Gravity a little higher than the original recipe (by design), and split between 001 and West Yorkshire yeasts.

This Sunday, 10gal of Chocolate Rye Mild with a huuuuge starter of 007 to try and ferment out and force carb by Christmas Eve, then next Wednesday 10gal of either Coffee Vanilla Porter or Black IPA, depending on my mood. And, if the wife doesn't mind, another 10gal on Sunday 12/30--whichever I don't get done on Wednesday.

My 7 fermenters will be full, all 9 of my kegs will be full... good thing we're having a New Year's Eve party! :rockin:

Brewing 2 unknown beer types at my brew buddy Abe's house tomorrow. He's got all the cool equipment to drool over, makes it nice and easy.

Bottled my Fuggles IPA. WlP060 american blend-gave me a pretty low finish of 1.006.Nice round 7%er. I forgot I did mash accidentally low for the first half hour. Hydro sample was really good.Ended up throwing everything in the primary to get my volume but ended with 2.1 gallon bottles instead of 2.5.
Was going to make a TAllgrass oaisis beer but,Im thinking of using some other hops and a different grainbill-(so maybe not-Oasis) using a base of Pale,Pilsner,Vienna, Red-Wheat malt,and maybe/maybe not some Mild ale malt. Depends what I find at the LHBS.Think IM going for Columbus and Amarillo.Summit and NZ Pacific Jade are 3rd&4th choice if unavailable.

Brewing a Honey Cream Stout and a Chocolate Orange Peel Stout on Monday or Tuesday.

Just finished brewing a batch tonight, in honor of our first Anniversary and the end of the world,
its called 1st Anniversary/Apocalypse Wheat Ale, if the hydro sample is any indication, then it will be great, and on sunday Im going to be brewing a Vienna / Northern Brewer SMASH

Cheers :mug:

Just finished brewing a batch tonight, in honor of our first Anniversary and the end of the world,
its called 1st Anniversary/Apocalypse Wheat Ale, if the hydro sample is any indication, then it will be great, and on sunday Im going to be brewing a Vienna / Northern Brewer SMASH

The Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH was my first AG beer and was so tasty. My homebrew club members really enjoyed it too. I will be brewing a variation of it soon with some munich for color and added maltiness with SF lager yeast instead of the US-05 in order to make it more of a Vienna lager.

Brewed a Dubbel on Friday, supposed to be all of our last day ha lol, and I have a Helles set to brew on the 1st of January.
Anybody got a kick as Imperial stout they would like to share, I really like Yeti from Great Divide
cheers!!

I posted this in another thread but I couldn't resist doing it again because it's just so darn pretty. This beautiful amber is what happens to Maris Otter after a 3.5 hour boil. Should be flat out gorgeous in a full glass when we drink this next Christmas. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

image-3994249059.jpg

I'd like to state for the record that sour mashing is not a technique I'd recommend for apartment all grain brewing.

Opening up the tun was a nose-opening experience. The boiled wort tastes pretty good, but the place still reeks of soured grains from thursday.

Running a batch of dubbed through this afternoon - hallertau, saaz, willamette - Fawcett mo, choc, aromatic, caramunich, dash of honey malt... Last batch was awesome and hoping to duplicate!

Opening up the tun was a nose-opening experience. The boiled wort tastes pretty good, but the place still reeks of soured grains from thursday.

That's what I figured. I haven't tried it yet, but It's on my to-do list. But I figure it can't be any worse than the rhino farts hard ciders have filled my apartment with.

The Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH was my first AG beer and was so tasty. My homebrew club members really enjoyed it too. I will be brewing a variation of it soon with some munich for color and added maltiness with SF lager yeast instead of the US-05 in order to make it more of a Vienna lager.

Nice, This is the 3rd Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH for me, and the first one using ale yeast, US-05 on this one.

Yesterday I had a buddy over that wants to get into brewing. Brew day was about 2 hours longer than normal cuz we talked more than worked :rockin:

Brewed a Quad-Hop-Hef, it's in the fermenter now and going to town

Toy4Rick

I am brewing a Chocolate Milk Stout right now. Not having experience with using cocoa nibs before, I somehow thought steeping 2 oz of toasted nibs in 4 oz of vodka, would provide enough chocolate flavor, but I was wrong. I now have 4oz of ground toasted cocoa nibs in 375ml of vodka, and this time I will add the nibs as well as the vodka to my secondary. Three days of just nibs and vodka, and then (hopefully) 3 or 4 days into the secondary until I get the flavor level I want. I am now $12.00 worth of nibs into this batch, and I will wait as long as it takes, or, as long as the nibs are still flavoring, I will wait until they have given up...

Finished brewing about an hour ago, I got to brew with my christmas present a 15 gal ss pot with basket, it covered 2 burners and made the stove look small, I got to brew my first full boil tonight thanks to my Wife, it was a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH, we decided to name it Smashing Christmas only 6 to 7 more weeks and we will be pulling the lever on that.

Cheers to All :)

Made a batch of cider with Japanese plums yesterday. Started feeling pretty ill by the end of the night, but pushed through. Sick as a dog today, but whatever.

1.050 OG, beautiful dark purple color, tasted great, like a cranberry/plum/blueberry juice. Lalvin 1118, bubbling away. We'll see how she turns out.

I am still planning but I think I'll brew some smoked beer this weekend, strong scotch ale is in my head so far.

The white death is coming tomorrow, so I think I'll brew Thursday. Gonna do the Celebration clone from BYO this time.

Tomorrow I will be brewing a English Dark Mild exactly to BJCP style 52-A specifications. (I hope) I have an London ESB 1968 yeast cake waiting for me. I have never really brewed a beer to match a style first, and flavor later. To be honest, I have never had a Dark Mild before, but my wife and I both enjoy darker style beers, and I hope we like this one too.

Back