Help with ssr's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeskneesbrew

Reaction score
What do all 4 contacts on the ssr do. Im trying to wrap my head around their function before I fire the control panel up. My panel is nearing completion.

ForumRunner_20121212_180638.jpg

ForumRunner_20121212_180659.jpg

Howdy fellow Iowan. Hard to believe you built that panel without understanding how SSRs function. But, looks nice.

One side of the SSR should be marked "input" with a +/- and a voltage rating, something like 3-36v VDC. This is where you connect the PID. These need to be connected as indicated by the polarity. Be sure your PID is set to control and SSR, as opposed to a mechanical relay.

The other side is where you connect the power for your heating element. This will be only one leg on a 220V element. That side will be marked something like ~24-~380 VAC. This side has no polarity, it simply acts a switch, use one pin as power in and the other as power out.

When the PID provides power to the input side, the circuit closes and power is allowed through.

Think of them as a High Voltage Switch, instead of having a switch that you physically flip with your finger the PID switches the switch with a low voltage. Hope that helps.

Back