Dry Hopping Filter solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOOK

Reaction score
i've been brewing a few DIPAs and they have all had the same problem.

Hop Particles floating around in a tasty beverage.

mesh sock on the entrance of the auto siphon gets clogged too easily.

so i wanted to see what you guys think of this possible solution:

Hop%20Filter1.jpg

of course i would have to make sure that the beer isn't spraying through the mesh bag to avoid oxygenation but if the end of the siphon is on the bottom of the keg.. i wouldn't think that would be a problem.

then when im done siphoning ...

pull the bag out.. effectively filtering out any loose hop particles.

any other suggestions? or flaws to point out?

Take the mesh sock that you were using on the entrance to the auto siphon and instead put it on the end of the output hose. Simple.

i had issues with a mesh sock getting clogged as well but have never had issues with a standard paint strainer bag

i think you have less of a chance with oxidation etc on the siphon end and not on the outflow end. as you pull the bag out, hops dripping beer etc could cause potential oxidation and i don't know of many bags that would reach the entire length of a keg

cold crashing before you rack will usually help pellets sink to the bottom as well to make it easier to avoid

cold crashing. I have dry hopped with as much as 8 oz in a 5 gallon batch. Leave it on the yeast in the primary for 4-5 weeks(including dry hop time) cold crash to just above freezing for 24-48 hours and you will have awesome clarity. Oh yeah, I use a half of a whirfloc tab at 15 min in the boil. You can then use that mesh sock for a hat and go rob a 7/11.

Take the mesh sock that you were using on the entrance to the auto siphon and instead put it on the end of the output hose. Simple.

heard this before... might try this next as i have a couple laying around.

only concern is the sock getting clogged at that end too.

i don't know of many bags that would reach the entire length of a keg

24" x 36"

http://bestdamnhomebrewshop.com/hom...quipment/nylon-drawstring-bag-24-x-36-coarse/

cold crashing. I have dry hopped with as much as 8 oz in a 5 gallon batch. Leave it on the yeast in the primary for 4-5 weeks(including dry hop time) cold crash to just above freezing for 24-48 hours and you will have awesome clarity. Oh yeah, I use a half of a whirfloc tab at 15 min in the boil.

i do both of these.. still cant help sucking up some of that hop sludge at the bottom or stirring it up a bit moving to siphoning area.

also this most recent batch, using whole leaf(i dont normally due to using carboys) all are floating and wont drop out.

Latest posts

Back