Special roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Special Roast is a strangely strong malt! I used only 4 oz in an imperial IPA on a whim and that sour dough tang is really quite present. I'm wondering if it might be a decent addition to a dry Guinness like stout to get that sourness?

I think it is interesting in my imperial IPA but probably won't repeat.

Sounds like a lot - I'll try 4 oz I guess on my next dry stout. Like I said the 4 oz in my imperial IPA - 19 lbs total so it was only 1.3% - is very very present! I guess the roastiness masks it a little more than this grain bill. I am psyched to try this since there has been just a little undefinable something missing in my low gravity dry stouts.

Cheers!
Steve

Everyone has different taste thresholds. If you felt 4 oz on a 19 lb grain bill was too present, the roasted malt probably won't mask it enough to make it a subtle flavor addition.

Start even lower. Go with 2 oz.

I always start low with specialty grains and will increase the amount the next time I brew a recipe if I feel I didn't get all the flavor out of the grain I wanted. It's better to make something drinkable but less unique than something undrinkable but unique.

Latest posts

Back