Creamed corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting a creamed corn smell from my blowoff tube. This is my first AG BIAB batch, and while the smell isn't very strong it is still making me kind of nervous. I did a 90-minute rolling boil, uncovered, so I don't see how DMS could be a problem.

I think I read somewhere that "rhino fart" bad smells in lagers are to be expected, but this is an ale. Should I worry?

I'm getting a creamed corn smell from my blowoff tube. This is my first AG BIAB batch, and while the smell isn't very strong it is still making me kind of nervous. I did a 90-minute rolling boil, uncovered, so I don't see how DMS could be a problem.

I think I read somewhere that "rhino fart" bad smells in lagers are to be expected, but this is an ale. Should I worry?

How long did it take you to chill your beer? You might get some DMS if the wort sat above 140 F for a long time.

DEAR GOD....

I thought you were using creamed corn as an adjunct.

Creamed corn is mostly sugar... I'd imagine it'd taste mostly like sweet corn and table sugar, as long as the rest/majority of the recipe was pretty standard grain, it'd probably be pretty straightforward.

Creamed corn is mostly sugar... I'd imagine it'd taste mostly like sweet corn and table sugar, as long as the rest/majority of the recipe was pretty standard grain, it'd probably be pretty straightforward.

I recently heard of a brewery that uses pop corn in a 'pilsner.' Apparently it ads a subtle aftertaste of pop corn.

Just came across a cream ale recipe that uses boiled/blended canned corn as an adjunct... As far as the smell, I recently brewed a wheat beer that had an awful sulfur smell. Yeast eats your sugar and poops out CO2 and all sorts of things that stink... All will be well. When you go to bottle or keg you shouldn't smell or taste it.

It didn't stay above 140 for long. When I mashed, I brought it to 155' and left it there. It actually cooled faster than I expected, so I doubt it was that hot for more than 40 minutes.

Turns out there's a lot less heat retention in two 2.5~ volumes than there is in one 5-gallon batch.

I'm already pretty sure it will have less body than expected, but that's alright. Learning experience and all that.

Here's a page about corn & other vegetal off flavors

Fortunately, I'm only talking flavor. If the hydro sample I take in a week tastes like creamed corn I'll post again, but right now my fears are assuaged. It just weirded me out because my first two (extract) batches smelled like ice cream. I was using a different yeast, too, so there's a hojillion different factors in play.

i HOPED he used creamed corn as an adjunct!

That sounds like a challenge. I like challenges. :mug:

Is it wrong I want to try to ferment a creamed-corn ale?

Hell no. Do it, man. I'm trying to figure out whether you'd run it through a blender, or just add it to the boil and strain the chunks out, or what. I'd be worried about the "cream" oils screwing up fermentation/head retention, though…

Cheezus, I'm glad I did a 90-minute boil. The guy at my LHBS gave me Pilsner malt instead of "regular" 2-row, and apparently a 90-min boil is essential for getting all the DMS out of pilsner malt.

Hell no. Do it, man. I'm trying to figure out whether you'd run it through a blender, or just add it to the boil and strain the chunks out, or what. I'd be worried about the "cream" oils screwing up fermentation/head retention, though…

I'd just put it in the mash just like doing a pumpkin mash..

Cheezus, I'm glad I did a 90-minute boil. The guy at my LHBS gave me Pilsner malt instead of "regular" 2-row, and apparently a 90-min boil is essential for getting all the DMS out of pilsner malt.

It'll be fine. Just let it spend about 4 weeks in the primary to clean up after itself..

I imagined creamed corn having more than just corn in it. Modified food starch? Probably not too bad for beer.

Creamed corn has no oils in it to make it that way. There is a simple device used to make it. It's kind of a scraper mounted on a piece of wood that you run the cob over to scrape the corn off the cob. This also has the effect of scraping the sweet liquid off into the bowl with the kernals. It can be placed in a baking pan with salt & pepper & baked. It comes out tasting like butter & cream were added,but there is none. It's the baked down sweet juices that create that flavor/texture. The real one anyway.
Canned stuff may well have starch in it to thicken it into something vaguley ressembling the original.

That may be, but I'd be surprised if that process didn't add additional natural corn oils to the mix. As far as I know it could ferment just fine, but in my experience creamed corn is an... oilier product.

according to del monte's website, their creamed corn in the can contains: Corn,Water, Sugar, Modified Food Starch (Corn), Salt.
since it's already got salt in it... mexican adjunct lager?

I feel like all you'd get out of creamed corn would be a higher ABV and a cleaner beer (minus the weird butteriness that the corn sits in)

Yeast is one of the most grossest things in the world...FUNGUS

i used to go to this awesome liberal school.

Recess involved being realeased into this boggishly slightly flooded valley.

One of our favorite passtimes was to mudslide down the rocky hillsides of the valley.

Giant trees had succumbed to the bog and fallen across creating bridges.

Our biggest fear, was to touch some fungus.;)

Chunks??
You have never seen a strong stout ferment, sending up chunks of yeast.

Back