Pale Ales coming out dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgraber

Reaction score
I have a feeling I already know my issue but figured I'd post here just to get some clarification.

The last two pale ales I've done have come out a bit darker than I'd expect, one almost to the point of looking like a brown ale.

I think the problem stems from using a turkey fryer burner the last too batches and maybe having the heat way too high? I didn't scorch the extract but still thought that the heat may be an issue.

The batches I've done on my stove top come out as expected colorwise.

This isn't a big deal for me since they still taste great just don't look as I'd expect.

Extract has a tendency to darken in a boil. One trick is to put in half of the extract at the beginning and the other half within ten minutes of the end of the boil. That way the overall darkness will be less.

B

It's probably a combination of the hard boil and the extract (which darkens during boiling) and the other ingredients, like any darker crystal malts.

I'd use the extra-light DME, adding the vast majority of it at flame out, and you should be fine!

Using late additions of your LME can help. Either turn the heat completely off, or at least way down to avoid scorcing the extract while adding to the wort. Mix the wort well while adding.

And sometimes doing a full volume boil can also help. But this assumes you have a means for cooling the additional volume (e.g. wort chiller).

I use half the total plain DME in the boil for hop additions. Then add remaining DME & all the LME at flame out off the heat. Lighter color,cleaner flavors that way.

Back