Grain Crushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
If I fork the $120 to buy a 7lb grain mill, would it be worth it if I mainly purchased my grains online? Is there anything special a home brew shop could do that I can't?

Also on that note...

I want to buy grains online from Rebelbrewer (they're listed in the vendors). Has anyone had any experience with using them, and if so, do you know if they crush the grains before sending them? I don't have a mill yet so I need them to come crushed...thanks in advance.

If I fork the $120 to buy a 7lb grain mill, would it be worth it if I mainly purchased my grains online? Is there anything special a home brew shop could do that I can't?

Also on that note...

I want to buy grains online from Rebelbrewer (they're listed in the vendors). Has anyone had any experience with using them, and if so, do you know if they crush the grains before sending them? I don't have a mill yet so I need them to come crushed...thanks in advance.

I like having a mill at home for a few reasons.

For one, I can zip into the lhbs and out in 20 minutes flat (can anyone else get out of their LHBS in under 30 min? Is mine just really talky all the time? :) ) . It's also very easy to buy grain in bulk, leave it in storage, and brew when the time is right. I don't like to have to time my brewing urges between Tue-Sat, and during business hours. I love just having yeast, hops, unmilled grain, and propane on standby for whenever it's a good time.

Also, while the mill at my LHBS is awesome and fast, I can more readily tweak my crush for different grains with the home mill. Efficiency is awesome.

I've never ordered from Rebelbrewer, but many have used them on this site. When you order your grain there is a box to check if you want the grain crushed. I love having my own mill for all the reasons Nebben sited. Crushed grain doesn't last very long and I have over 100# of grain in the house, not to mention several #s of hops and several yeast varieties. It's nice to wake up on a Saturday....see the wife is going with the kids somewhere, and knowing I can brew something without wasting time going to the LHBS. Or worse yet, waiting a week for my order to be shipped from online.

Back