Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe - Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escalante88

Reaction score
Hey yall - here it is (once again), but this time it's a partial mash, and I will be using Deathbrewer's methods (grain bag, etc.). Is the grainbill reasonable, i.e. the ratio of DME to pale malt to crystal? Is it possible to combine all these grains in the bag for the mash? Any help is appreciated!

SNPA Clone: Partial Mash:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

4.61 lb Light DME (8 SRM)
2.41 lb Pale Malt (US 2 row) (2SRM)
2.46 lb Crystal 40L
.53 oz Magnum (14AA) @ 60 min
.53 oz Pearle (8AA) @ 30 min
.53 Cascade (5.5AA) @ 10 min
.53 Cascade (5.5AA) @ 0 min
W1056 Starter

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.48%
IBU: 37
SRM = 10.9

Well, generally I'd recommend to have the amount of 2 row equal to or greater than the amount of specialty grains. However, the only specialty grain you have is crystal which doesn't need to be mashed. So, the amount of grain you have looks fine to me.

To my knowledge the ratio of DME to base malt really doesn't matter much. Basically, you just need to make sure you have enough base malt to convert the specialty grains. The rest is just brewer's preference.

EDIT: Also, it is possible to mash both grains in the bag at once. In fact, you wouldn't want to do it separately.

I think you are heavy on the Crystal Malt. 1# of Crystal should be enough for a SNPA clone.

Hey yall - here it is (once again), but this time it's a partial mash, and I will be using Deathbrewer's methods (grain bag, etc.). Is the grainbill reasonable, i.e. the ratio of DME to pale malt to crystal? Is it possible to combine all these grains in the bag for the mash? Any help is appreciated!

SNPA Clone: Partial Mash:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

4.61 lb Light DME (8 SRM)
2.41 lb Pale Malt (US 2 row) (2SRM)
2.46 lb Crystal 40L
.53 oz Magnum (14AA) @ 60 min
.53 oz Pearle (8AA) @ 30 min
.53 Cascade (5.5AA) @ 10 min
.53 Cascade (5.5AA) @ 0 min
W1056 Starter

OG: 1.055
ABV: 5.48%
IBU: 37
SRM = 10.9

I brewed a PM APA that was based loosely on a SNPA clone recipe. This was my first partial mash, but I nailed the target gravity. The hop flavor I tasted from the hydrometer reading seemed like it was extremely close to SNPA's.

Here's the recipe I used:

3lbs Light DME
3lbs Two-Row Pale Malt
1lb Caramel 60L
1lb Caramel 20L
6oz Carapils

.5oz Nugget (60 min)
1oz Perle (45 min)
1oz Cascade (10 min)
1oz Cascade (5 min)
.5 Nugget (flameout)
1oz Cascade (dry-hop)

S-05 Yeast

The readings for this are as follows:
OG: 1.060
SRM: 12
IBU: 45

I pitched 2 packets of S-05 yeast. She's fermenting in the primary as we speak.

Obviously this isn't necessarily a dead-on clone, but like I said the hop flavor was very close. I'll update you in a month or so when it's ready to drink.

Thanks guys - I will drop it down to 1 #. The combo of 80L and 40L - according to Jamil - it would contribute some layers and complexity that using only 60L wouldn't achieve alone - would you say this is true? Can't wait to get started on this and share the results!

Thanks guys - I will drop it down to 1 #. The combo of 80L and 40L - according to Jamil - it would contribute some layers and complexity that using only 60L wouldn't achieve alone - would you say this is true? Can't wait to get started on this and share the results!

This is correct. Tasting it might be difficult behind the hop flavor, but you'll know it's there! :ban:

Back