WTF, why are so many ppl selling out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
I'm all in for a good deal, however, what is up with a new thread almost every night about ppl selling everything. Is this about to be illegal? Is the passion lost? Too much money, not enough time? It kinda scares me because I'm still new and have the excitement that hasn't been lost yet.

My take on our current government rule and subsequent rulers is that I want to do everything on my own. I don't trust them any further than I trust a drug company telling me to take this and you will feel better or make my slong bigger or make my wife happier or make sex last longer. (Not that I have a problem, but maybe I do according to the ads)

I do not take medicine unless it is absolutely necessary, however I will pop an Ibuprofen when needed. WHY are these people selling out in a time when IMHO, consider it the most important time to pull back, learn to do it yourself and make life more about family, hard work and self preservation without any help from anyone including the gubbmint.

Sorry for the bad grammar, just had to vent, I'm a new post addict and I wish I lived in CA cuz there are some great deals out there to be had. I posted this here because I knew that I would go so many different directions, only a drunk Mick could follow, or maybe not....

I know a couple people on here who are selling or sold their gear had to choose between feeding their families and their hobby....I understand completely, and I know it was a decision that was made with some sorrow and pain.....

Some folks move on to another hobby, and decide to unload their gear.

But I know from PM's that many of the classified adds are people seriously hurting in this economy, and hope that unloading what they got to a good home will help them, even a little, in their time of need.

When I see threads like that I feel a little sad...and think "There, but for the Grace of God, go I..."

if beer is good enough for the monks durring fasting its good enough for my family. OK, I'm single with no kids..... I feel for anyone who has to chose between hobbies and family. But i also admire them for what they do, I hope someday i will be able to make those hard decisions correctly.

I know a couple people on here who are selling or sold their gear had to choose between feeding their families and their hobby....I understand completely.

Some folks move on to another hobby, and decide to unload their gear.

But I know from PM's that many of the classified adds are people seriously hurting in this economy, and hope that unloading what they got to a good home will help them, even a little, in their time of need.

When I see threads like that I feel a little sad...and think "There, but for the Grace of God, go I..."

Well now I'm sad, I really didn't think of it in that light. I should delete the thread. My wife has been unemployed for 9 months and I guess for me, I'm lucky and its not a hobby for me. I have stuff that I would hate to sell 25 cents on the dollar but would if it came down to that. Thanks Revvy, you bring me down to earth everytime.

Oh, I will not make my 12 year old daughter, nor my 9 month old son consume beer, so I will bake bread or kill some chickens before I would go that far.

I should say, after reading the initial post.........."without any help" doesn't include this forum.....When I can, I will be lifetime because this forum is better than any encyclopedia that I have ever tried to read.....and, interjects personality which is fun to read and judge and have fun with!!!

Oh, I will not make my 12 year old daughter, nor my 9 month old son consume beer, so I will bake bread or kill some chickens before I would go that far.

You would have in the "old days"...the used to give kids beer in English hospitals because of the nutritional value. ;)

DAMN PURITANS!!!! Aren't they all dead by now? :mad:

I can see selling out if it's like the only thing you had left of any value and your family needed the food/rent money. Totally respectable.

I've purchased much of my equipment used and saved a great deal of money in the process. I know some of them were hurting because they said so and/or looked the part, but I never took advantage of them or their situation because that's the kind of guy I am. You say the price and if I think it's a good deal I won't barter, I'll just pay.

My wife hasn't worked since 1997...but that's by choice. I make enough for both of us because we don't live beyond our means like so many do.

I've always said of people who try to keep up with the Jones' is they don't realize the Jones' are just as broke/in debt as they are...or the Jones' are trying to keep up with them...

And, yes, I do read all the FOR SALE threads...;)...just in case...

in these unfortunate times ive been using beer as my primary chaloric intake device.... and I might still have a job next week. whether that is the beers fault or the economy is still up to debate.

but it is cheeper than going out to dinner:confused:

Back