Pest problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_clean

Reaction score
I have a few roaches in my apartment ever since i moved in,cant get rid of em.Latley ive had more,just wondering if any of you who brew inside have roaches?

I had this problem at my last apt, just make sure you sanitize EVERYTHING before it touches the wort and you'll be ok

I had this problem at my last apt, just make sure you sanitize EVERYTHING before it touches the wort and you'll be ok

I do,the office is getting rid of them.I was just thinking they have been hanging around cause of brewing.Everytime i add the malt extract i see little heads poking out.

I would take 3 steps:

-Get rid of their food sources. Clean the crap out of your apartment... pull the stove out, get behind the refrigerator, under kitchen cabinets, inside the kitchen cabinets, etc... and do the same for the other rooms.

-Find their access points and seal them off. You'll likely find some of these as you clean. Roaches can get in through tiny spaces like gaps between baseboard and floor, electrical wiring holes through drywall behind ovens, etc. Use caulk, foam, weatherstripping, whatever it takes.

-Put down some sort of roach traps. Locate them strategically and according to manufacturer's instructions/suggestions... being mindful of pets and children, if you have any.

Those three steps should solve your problem. Remember that putting chemicals down is not a first step and aside from roach traps, you probably don't need to spray at all unless your roach problem is severe. Any kind of pesticide control method is more of a back-up to the other two.

Does anyone else see the irony in mr_clean asking about a roach problem?

Boric Acid works wonders. Just be careful if you have pets.

You need to use a systemic poison. Roach Motels are a good one. The roaches eat it then go back to their lair and die, then their buddies eat them, they die too and so on and so on.
They really do work.
AP

They sprayed and left bait,barely any crawlin.Gonna have em come out again next monday.

Back