Storing lager wort over night before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd rather not use any top off water on my next batch. I can't cool with my coil to 55°, but I can get it close to 65° then store in corny overnight to get to 55°. Is there any harm storing unfermenting lager overnight to cool before pitching.

If you have good sanitary practices, you should be fine. You might not even need overnight. It might get there in a couple hours in refrigeration. Get it under 80°F as fast as you can to minimize risk of any bacteria/wild yeast from multiplying.

I may use overnight. That way I can really keep the temps under control. Anyways I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

If I were in your shoes, I would use my boil kettle as a settling tank. Cool the wort in the kettle, and move the whole kettle to the fridge. The next day when you are ready to pitch your yeast siphon the clear wort from the top down avoiding all the trub and hop sludge. You would have a super clean wort.

Noonan talks about using a settling tank and it is something I want to try...

If I were in your shoes, I would use my boil kettle as a settling tank. Cool the wort in the kettle, and move the whole kettle to the fridge. The next day when you are ready to pitch your yeast siphon the clear wort from the top down avoiding all the trub and hop sludge. You would have a super clean wort.

Noonan talks about using a settling tank and it is something I want to try...

That's kind of cool! I would try that. Just make sure you have a good clean cover on it.

Hell, I'm going to try that next time I make a lager.

I do this but I have a dedicated freezer. I set the freezer to 34 and store the chilled wort overnight. Then I pitch the next morning before going to work (I usually brew on Sundays) and set the freezer to 54. It usually takes a day or so to come up to temp but I never end up with any off flavors and I always get lots and lots of break.

I highly recommend this technique if you are sure you are sanitary.

I can cool with coil to around 70, and planned on just sticking in kegger which will be set around 50. I would figure by morning it'll be in the 48-58 range for sure? Right?

If I pre-cool with the kegger on low it might dip too cold to get the yeast going quickly right?

I do this but I have a dedicated freezer. I set the freezer to 34 and store the chilled wort overnight. Then I pitch the next morning before going to work (I usually brew on Sundays) and set the freezer to 54. It usually takes a day or so to come up to temp but I never end up with any off flavors and I always get lots and lots of break.

I highly recommend this technique if you are sure you are sanitary.

+1 Here too, + I put my starter in with the wort, so they don't get shocked by the cold when I pitch.

Back