Salvaging the Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeerfan

Reaction score
I have seen some really cool labels out there(kudos to you all) and am wondering if there is a way to sanitize the bottles without ruining the custom labels or is trashing the labels during cleaning and sanitizing just part of "doing business"?

You could have a batch of the labels laminated then glued to the bottle with a weak type of glue. Then just peel off the label and clean the bottle.

Could be pricey to have 2 cases of labels laminated. Not sure what that would cost.

So, you're saying you already have some bottles with labels on them? Or just so that you will not have to reprint every time?

If it is the latter one. I have had good results water proofing my labels.

What I did was print the labels on the paper, then take the printed labels (uncut) and spray paint the back of the labels with 2 or 3 coats of white enamel spray paint.

Then, I took automotive clear coat spray paint, sprayed the fronts on the labels with 2 or 3 good coats.

Make sure you let them dry about 5 min or so in between coats, and do not go overly crazy with the spray or the sheets will wrinkle on you. I had good results also, buy stretching the paper and putting weights on the sides to keep it from wrinkling up.

Now you should have a water proof reusable labels.

Sounds like the best thing to do is just to reprint them every time. Laminating and spray painting sounds like waaayyy too much work but I do appreciate the suggestions nevertheless.:rockin:

I use bumper sticker stock from Office Depot. They can easily be removed and reapplied several times before you have to discard them. And they're waterproof even when printed on an ink jet printer.

You could just be careful when washing and then rinse the inside and the neck with starsan. I'm happy removing my labels and putting new ones on, especially because each label contains dates.

Dunno if you can still find it, but Brother used to make a laminator machine that had sticky-back laminate. Just print lables, cut, and stick. Pull off the bottles when you're done.

Otherwise, I find Goo Gone to be great for lables. Just squirt some one and wait a half hour. Then peel off.

B

I don't do bottles, I just have tap handle labels. I laminate them and I can reuse them. Just go to kegging and be done with it. :)

Back