Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AttenuatingCircumstances said:
I just brewed this yesterday and aimed at a 5 gallon final product so I have just under 5 gallons in my fermenter to make room for the Simply Raspberry Lemon. Would you recommend adjusting the amount of Simply poured into fermenter (at about 1.4L) or just add the whole 1.75L? I am making this beer for a couples beach trip in September so a little more raspberry lemon flavor would be fine to appease the ladies. Thanks in advance!

Pour the whole thing in...but make sure it's at room temp before you do.

evandena said:
Can the Limeaid be added way later, or is there a point to introducing it to some active yeast?

The limeade is meant to be added during the fermentation process so that it creates the after taste in the beer....add it too soon and the flavors are flat and not complex....add it to late and it will extended the fermentation process and could creat unwanted flavors.

LouBrew13 said:
I just used the same and added the entire bottle. You'll lose some to trub. Raspberry didn't come through much but it's delicious. Next time I may add some raspberry extract too.

One of the brewers who tried this recipe, bottled his beer using Torini Syrups that was raspberry flavor and he said it turned out great....but I caution you not to use sugar free, and be careful of bottle bombs.

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't have any luck with the search function. Are there good substitutes for Sorachi Ace and motueka if the LHBS doesn't carry them (which they likely won't)? I know it's best to use those but I doubt I'll be able to get them. In your opinion would the beer still be really good?

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't have any luck with the search function. Are there good substitutes for Sorachi Ace and motueka if the LHBS doesn't carry them (which they likely won't)? I know it's best to use those but I doubt I'll be able to get them. In your opinion would the beer still be really good?

The general consensus is to not substitute them, since they both add a lime-ish flavor. You can get them both online, check out labelpeelers, mine will be here tomorrow for $6 shipped to my door for all the hops needed for this recipe.

The general consensus is to not substitute them, since they both add a lime-ish flavor. You can get them both online, check out labelpeelers, mine will be here tomorrow for $6 shipped to my door for all the hops needed for this recipe.

Thanks but unfortunately I won't have time to wait for shipping. Need to brew in the next couple days.

AttenuatingCircumstances said:
Thanks for the replies about the Simply. When I checked this morning I'm getting airlock activity every 2-4 seconds. Is this the proper time to add the Simply?

You should be good with pouring it in today...but don't do it unless your going to be home for a few hours, or sub the airlock for a blowoff tube.

Naturallight16oz said:
can lemon zest be substituted for lime zest? And if so would it still be the same amount?

Yes, however lemon is more tart, where as the lime is tart and sweet....but it's your beer, so go for it!

Brewed this today, but messed up on volume and target OG. I batched sparged with 4 gallons , 1st runnoffs getting me 1.063 gravity, 2nd batch sparge 3.25 gallons at 1.025, and had to add 1/2 gallon water to get me 5.75 gallons pre boil, and got 5 gallons post boil with a OG of 1.045. So I'm 1/2 gallon short and low on the gravity. I grind my own grain, everythings got a good crush, and did a separate double crush of the wheat. I usually add extra lb of grain, but didn't this time. No stuck sparge, everything seemed to go OK. I plan on saving the yeast and washing it, or doing the blood orange batch on the yeast cake.

Just brewed this with my buddy today. First time at AG. Broke my brand new test jar so I have no idea what the gravity's are. Only had only one problem which was we ended up wiith 4.5 gallons of wort In the fermentor which really sucks. Other than that everything went well! Thanks for recipe and i will let you know how it turns out

Just had my 1st taste on Sat (7/6). The aroma was super citrusy and bright. The taste was definitely lime...you can certainly taste the limeade. Looking forward to when the lemon starts to shine a little brighter (hopefully it does). Overall, its a darn good beer. Its in a class on its own; nothing on the market to compare it to.
I had a pool party on Sat and served it to a few unknowing recipients...they all liked it and every one of the asked me where it came from. I never tell anyone that its a homebrew before they drink it so I can get honest feedback (most people won't say "this beer sucks" if they know its yours). All but 1 person liked it upon first sip.:).

~EBucky:mug:

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch of this on Saturday. I brewed it to the original recipe except for two changes...... I had to substitute the Motueka hops for Citra since my LHBS didn't carry Motueka. I also added .25 oz. of coriander seed (crushed) at 5 minutes left of the boil for a little more citrus aroma. Otherwise, everything else was to the original recipe.

Can't wait to see how this one tastes!!

EBucky said:
Just had my 1st taste on Sat (7/6). The aroma was super citrusy and bright. The taste was definitely lime...you can certainly taste the limeade. Looking forward to when the lemon starts to shine a little brighter (hopefully it does). Overall, its a darn good beer. Its in a class on its own; nothing on the market to compare it to.
I had a pool party on Sat and served it to a few unknowing recipients...they all liked it and every one of the asked me where it came from. I never tell anyone that its a homebrew before they drink it so I can get honest feedback (most people won't say "this beer sucks" if they know its yours). All but 1 person liked it upon first sip.:).

~EBucky:mug:

Congratulations, I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed the recipe and your brewing!

Interesting opinions about the Grapefruit version. I brewed a 10G batch and put half on Limeaid and the other on Grapefruit.

Most of the people that have had it prefer the Grapefruit as it has a refreshing tartness to it. The Limeaid is fairly sweet.

Nonetheless, both great brews!

Ben

Interesting opinions about the Grapefruit version. I brewed a 10G batch and put half on Limeaid and the other on Grapefruit.

Most of the people that have had it prefer the Grapefruit as it has a refreshing tartness to it. The Limeaid is fairly sweet.

Nonetheless, both great brews!

Ben

Did you follow the original recipe and only switch the juice?

I brewed a 5 gallon all grain batch of this and hit all the numbers spot on.
I brewed this exactly how the recipe calls for. It turned out excellent.
Perfect amount of Lemon-Lime flavor.

One piece of advice for anyone making this beer.
Follow the directions as Slim states, at least the 1st time you make it.

I read how people are adjusting the recipe and asking questions on what substitutions they should make for the hops and yeast.
It's simple brew the original recipe you won't be disappointed.

I will be making this again. Thanks for a perfect summer beer recipe

:rockin:

Has anyone ever tasted banana in their LLH? :ban:
I have been drinking this for a few days now, and I believe I am getting some banana in the finish. Its possible I pitched a little too warm; I had a hard time cooling it in the hot SoCal summer heat and it may have fermented in the low/mid 70's for a few hours before my ferm chamber cooled it down to 68F. I still really enjoy this brew, but I am curious if anyone else has had the same experience.
I followed the recipe exactly, so its not from a sub....my only guess is the warm temps caused the yeast produce esters.

Well I'm a little biased, after experimenting with several yeast strains/combos, I found that this works in perfect harmony with all the other flavors...yes it has a spiciness, is it enough for you...well I guess that's an answer for your taste buds!
In regards to your brew method.....I'm not sure why you would cold crash this beer, since it's a hefeweizen most people expect the haze and with the malt and yeast, I'm pretty sure your still going to get one. As for the temp adjustments....I think your working too hard! The Hef V is a very forgiving yeast and works well at 68 degrees for 3 weeks...it's a set it and forget it yeast!

After 3-4 weeks in a keg the flavor is really coming around. My first impression was that the spiciness and lime didn't meld. With a little time, the flavors have integrated into a very enjoyable, refreshing brew. Thanks for the recipe.

Well, what I brewed, using this as the inspiration, has turned out to be the best homebrew I've personally made out of 5 batches, just started brewing 2 months ago. I did....
6 # Wheat DME
1 # Vienna Malt
8 oz German Pilsner Malt
8 oz Carapils
1 oz each of Moteuka and Sorachi Ace following the OP's schedule.
Wyeast 3068
1.75 Simply Limeade after vigorous fermentation.
3 weeks primary, did not secondary.

Not really sure what I ended up with would be called or classified as, I call it a Lemon-Lime HefePaleAle lol, but I think it is awesome even after just conditioning for 2 weeks. Thanks for the inspiration, Slim!

image-2447911744.jpg

I was a able to source the following for my 5 gallon partial mash batch:

German Hersbrucker 1oz
Alpha 4.3%
Beta 7.5%

Czech Saaz 1oz
Alpha 3.2%
Beta 4.4%

Sortatchi Ace 1oz
Alpha 12.6%
Beta 5.4%

Can anyone with some experience advice on boil times and quantity for each? This is only my 3rd batch ever and I don't have access to the exact recipe ingredients even by mail order.

As it's been said in this thread countless times.

It's the hops and yeast that make this recipe work. You'd be better to wait and source the proper ingredients than to try and make this without.

KVANTAN said:
I was a able to source the following for my 5 gallon partial mash batch:

German Hersbrucker 1oz
Alpha 4.3%
Beta 7.5%

Czech Saaz 1oz
Alpha 3.2%
Beta 4.4%

Sortatchi Ace 1oz
Alpha 12.6%
Beta 5.4%

Can anyone with some experience advice on boil times and quantity for each? This is only my 3rd batch ever and I don't have access to the exact recipe ingredients even by mail order.

Just go with what you have man, I made a variation of the recipe (scroll up and look at it) and be sure and add the Limeade after vigorous fermentation, let primary for 21 days minimum, and bottle condition for 21 days minimum (if you bottle) and you'll have a fine beer.

relatively new to brewing and still doing extract (mostly with local kits w/ specialty grain steep prior to boil). I've got Beersmith 2, and have read thru most of the pages on this thread to find more details about extract brewing this beer. obviously the consensus is to use the prescribed yeast and hops, so that's in the works (I can source both hops and the yeast locally).

I put the original recipe in beersmith and it gave me different numbers than what was listed on the first post (OG, IBU, color mainly). but since I don't do all-grain yet, I may have put in the figures wrong. I used the conversion part of BS2 but since I was off on the original numbers I tossed that recipe out.

so next I put in the extract information provided in the first post, but again, the numbers seemed different between Beersmith and the info posted. OG about the same (1.051), but IBU was around 14 and color was about 7.5.

so now onto my question *(you did know there would be questions, right??):

1) in beersmith, I "made" a recipe with DME instead of LME (@80% weight). that got me in the ballpark. then I had it adjust the values for a 5 gallon batch as I would keg it, and my kegs are 5 gallons. so now i'm at about 5.5lbs of wheat DME and 7 oz of extra light DME. That gets me (with 5 gallons) to 1.051, 13IBU and 6SRM. pretty close. But that's also dropping the hops down to .16oz per instead of .25 per addition. normally I would leave the hops at .25oz as I really like hoppy beers, but I would like to keep it as "originally" designed at least for the first batch. This will be my 5th batch of beer, so sorry for the long winded post.

so is my fuzzy logic sound (converting from LME to DME and 6 to 5 gallon batch) or have I missed something? according to Beersmith, it should be right there, but maybe I've missed something here or there? I know it doesn't take into account the lime zest and the 1.75l added after the first wave of yeast explosion. lol.

other than that, I'll probably use the raspberry/lemonade (picked up 1.75l tonight) as I really like rasberry (even thought most say it's not nearly as pronounced as the lime flavor).

relatively new to brewing and still doing extract (mostly with local kits w/ specialty grain steep prior to boil). I've got Beersmith 2, and have read thru most of the pages on this thread to find more details about extract brewing this beer. obviously the consensus is to use the prescribed yeast and hops, so that's in the works (I can source both hops and the yeast locally).

I put the original recipe in beersmith and it gave me different numbers than what was listed on the first post (OG, IBU, color mainly). but since I don't do all-grain yet, I may have put in the figures wrong. I used the conversion part of BS2 but since I was off on the original numbers I tossed that recipe out.

so next I put in the extract information provided in the first post, but again, the numbers seemed different between Beersmith and the info posted. OG about the same (1.051), but IBU was around 14 and color was about 7.5.

so now onto my question *(you did know there would be questions, right??):

1) in beersmith, I "made" a recipe with DME instead of LME (@80% weight). that got me in the ballpark. then I had it adjust the values for a 5 gallon batch as I would keg it, and my kegs are 5 gallons. so now i'm at about 5.5lbs of wheat DME and 7 oz of extra light DME. That gets me (with 5 gallons) to 1.051, 13IBU and 6SRM. pretty close. But that's also dropping the hops down to .16oz per instead of .25 per addition. normally I would leave the hops at .25oz as I really like hoppy beers, but I would like to keep it as "originally" designed at least for the first batch. This will be my 5th batch of beer, so sorry for the long winded post.

so is my fuzzy logic sound (converting from LME to DME and 6 to 5 gallon batch) or have I missed something? according to Beersmith, it should be right there, but maybe I've missed something here or there? I know it doesn't take into account the lime zest and the 1.75l added after the first wave of yeast explosion. lol.

other than that, I'll probably use the raspberry/lemonade (picked up 1.75l tonight) as I really like rasberry (even thought most say it's not nearly as pronounced as the lime flavor).

I got a huge raspberry tartness and flavor using Open Nature Raspberry Lemonade from Dominics. I get hints of the lemonade but the raspberry is dominant right now. I used 2 one liter bottles. Its all natural with no preservatives. I recommend.

I did a 10g batch and split it one with simply limeaid and the other simply grapefruit. both wre great. I followed the recipe to a T and hit the numbers. A vote amongst all those that have tasted so far is the grapefruit is better. Both are good, but the grapefruit is just so unique that is pushes it forward.

My point is if you like the original, try the modifications especially the grapefruit. I just picked up two bottles of simply grapefruit…its getting brewed again this weekend to finish out the summer. Unfortunately the grapefruit ked is floating…so we are replying on Ed's hefe (which is awesome and completely different) and the limeaid version. Not complaining…not a bad place to be….

Random basic question...for the extract version are you steeping any grains? Couldn't tell if you need to steep the Vienna Malt or not.

markus2982 said:
Thanks! I'm gathering the ingredients. Already have the Sorachi Ace. Just need to track down the other hops.

I just google them when I'm buying in small quantities.

I went ahead and ordered through Austin Homebrew Supply. Since it is flat rate shipping, I just ordered the rest of the ingredients through there as well. I haven't worked with vial yeast before so went with Wyeast 3333 smack pack. Suppose to a comparable strain

markus2982 said:
I went ahead and ordered through Austin Homebrew Supply. Since it is flat rate shipping, I just ordered the rest of the ingredients through there as well. I haven't worked with vial yeast before so went with Wyeast 3333 smack pack. Suppose to a comparable strain

It's close and you will make a good beer, but I hope if you try it again, that you get Hef IV

I did mine with 3333 and the keg lasted 3 days... this stuff is rediculous in the summer. Brewing another batch this weekend.

Good to hear. I just got my tracking number on the order and can't wait to brew. I have way too many empty fermenters.

SD-SLIM said:
It's close and you will make a good beer, but I hope if you try it again, that you get Hef IV

I love a hefe so I imagine I will make this again. Might make the second round of this first time using vial yeast/ starter.

Just checked and Austin is out of Ace.

I can't seem to find anyone that has both hops in stock...it's one, or the other, but not both.

If anyone finds them together please report back! I want to make this but hate the idea of paying shipping twice :(

Back