The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mort,

Advance notice here of a trip I'm going to organize for next fall. We're going to leave Boston for a week of diving somewhere in the Med (Crete?) or the Aegean (Greece) then stop in Munich at Octoberfest on the way home. Me & Al, Scott & Sarah, Kim & Maryann . You & Pat?
The girls may want to come, too. I would like to do a live aboard for the week but Maryann gets seasick at the dock so that might not fly. What ya think?

Morning Paul, and all others (cue sound track to the Waltons.....)
That dive trip and Munich sounds pretty cool - so definitely keep us in the loop on the planning - right now I don't have any big trips planned for work. I know Pat's been talking up both Crete and Greece - I'll check in with some of our friends and contacts about what the best locations and values may be right now. I know a guy at Woods Hole that was in charge of several u/w archaeological projects off of Greece - and he's got some great contacts.

Thought we were going to see you on the pub crawl last Saturday. I had some IPA's to give you as rent for letting us brew on your system at Masstoberfest. My first all grain beer came out awesome, and I'll be glad when I get my system up and running so I can brew all grain at home and stop brewing extract stuff in the kitchen.

nhwrecker said:
Morning Paul, and all others (cue sound track to the Waltons.....)
That dive trip and Munich sounds pretty cool - so definitely keep us in the loop on the planning - right now I don't have any big trips planned for work. I know Pat's been talking up both Crete and Greece - I'll check in with some of our friends and contacts about what the best locations and values may be right now. I know a guy at Woods Hole that was in charge of several u/w archaeological projects off of Greece - and he's got some great contacts.

Thought we were going to see you on the pub crawl last Saturday. I had some IPA's to give you as rent for letting us brew on your system at Masstoberfest. My first all grain beer came out awesome, and I'll be glad when I get my system up and running so I can brew all grain at home and stop brewing extract stuff in the kitchen.

That rig worked and made a good beer? Wow hope it was a dark beer so you avoided any discoloration from the rust

While we were in Dublin we went through the Guinness factory. You could put your name into a data base they have and find if you have family members who have worked there. There were 11 guys with my last name who have worked for Arthur. I'm claiming them all as long lost relatives.

I'm betting that at least one of them got fired for excessive consumption of the product.

So the local farmstand seems to have a good price on local raw honey. Any advice on what to do with it? I'm guessing a mead. Never done it and figured I'd give it a try. Since, I've never done it before whats a good classic? I'm thinking one or more of the following: raisins, maple syrup (another place just down the road), cranberries or cherries. I'm not sold on doing a mead. Just figured I'd give it a try.

as PTN has stated earlier "Beer talk doesn't belong in this thread. Take it outside." so I assume that goes for mead, wine, soda, etc

You forgot blueberry flavored girly drinks.

I got 5lbs for $22. Not that great of a deal as it's similar to NB. However, in the next YuppyTown over it's twice that much from the same apiary. The farm wasn't the direct source of the honey so maybe if you go directly you could get cheaper. It is also just down the road.

Braggot may be the way to go. I think I was half hearted wanting to do a wine kit. I have a couple pounds of Northern Brewer and noble hops that I need to use. I did an awesome Imperial Doppelbock a couple of years ago and I'm sure the final growlers will be done by Christmas.

Maybe I'll do a double brew and blend half of one with maple syrup and the other with the honey to keep the aroma. I'm not a recipe guru so I have to do more research. Maybe find a German variation somewhere. Plus find out if I need to do nutrients. I've read you don't want to boil the honey so blending or adding it at the end of fermentation is what I'll experiment with to keep the flavor/aroma.

I wouldn't add it at the end of fermentation... it'll just ferment again.

Add it either at flameout in the boil or not-to-long afterwards.

It's going to ferment, regardlessless of whether he adds it at the end of the boil, during whirlpool, in primary, or in secondary. It's GOING to ferment. But, if he adds it after the primary fermentation is done, he'll stand a better chance of retaining some of the flavor and aromatics, they won't either be destroyed by the heat or blown out in primary.

Yea. That's what I was thinking along with the arguments about dry hopping and the fermentation pushing the aromatics out. I don't even know if that's true. It will ferment out. I just want to try to keep the aromatics. What little I've read about mead there's discussion of not going above a certain temperature (I think like 170). There's a mead argument some people have that you will loose the flavor and aroma of the honey. So maybe I start off with a 5 gallon of the normal doppelbock and just when it gets to 90% fermented I transfer and top off to a six gallon carboy with a honey mixture cooled from 170 down to fermentation temp.

PS - Sorry if this is interrupting Angela's Ashes searching for relatives on the sexual predator's database.

It's going to ferment, regardlessless of whether he adds it at the end of the boil, during whirlpool, in primary, or in secondary. It's GOING to ferment. .

Oh wow... really???

Soooo... What you're saying is... if you add sugars to something that has yeast in it... it'll ferment???

Hmmm... I should read up on that.

Thanks Bird.

Any epic EAC food being made (or accidently deep fried) in Masshole land for Thanksgiving?

Bird is going in the brine tonight and in the WSM on Thurday...

Still haven't decided if the turkey's going on the grill (with some applewood chips) or just in the oven. The weather looks good, so I'll probably put it on the grill. Going in the brine tomorrow, stealing Alton Brown's brine recipe. Nothing particularly epic here, though, mostly going traditional.

But, if he adds it after the primary fermentation is done, he'll stand a better chance of retaining some of the flavor and aromatics, they won't either be destroyed by the heat or blown out in primary.

Not to mention decreasing infection risk.

Cold mixing a must for mead is one thing, but adding honey to cool, nutrient rich wort is a little riskier than adding it later after fermentation is pretty much, or is, done and you've alcohol content and pH in your favor.

Ah. Thanks AZ. I'm no mead expert but how much aroma does honey add to a mead? I'm hoping to stay with the lower noble hops to maybe get a hint of the honey. There was wildflower and just plain raw honey. Haven't opened the small jar to see if I can detect any aroma.

Latest posts

Back