There is always room for screwing up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So me and a friend made beer this weekend. I made an AG Wit, and he made an extract IPA. He was looking something up on the laptop, so I measured water and added grains to the bag for a good steep while the water heated up.

After that we pull out the steeping grains and get it boiling.

Add some hops.

Boil hops for just about an hour.

Notice what we forgot to do?

Malt anyone?? :D

I'm blaming Sierra Nevada and Bells brewing company for this one ;)

So we turn off the flame and add the LME and give it a few minutes of boiling and I think it will be ok anyway. In the end I'm confident we made beer and a good time was had by all (till the next morning).

Its not a brewing session if something doesn't go slightly wrong at least. Usually for me its forgetting to turn a lever on hose switches and losing some wort to the garage floor.

lol

i just had the best brewday i ever had yesterday. hit all temps exactly, got decent efficiency, etc.

threw the carboy in my ferm chamber at 64F. woke up this morning and the controller read.... -280F? apparently around 1am the sensor went bad...had to quickly reprogram it to work with a different one. i think it only got up to 66F so i should be good.

sounds like a great time!!

A couple weeks ago I was brewing with a friend, his first time, and I had already moved the wort to the ice bath and he says "hey what is this bag of funny looking green rabbit pellets for?"......

OH crap I forgot the hops at 15 minutes from finish.....so they became flame out hops!

I am blaming Rogue Brewery!

I once did the same thing except I even cooled my "wort" before I realized I didnt add the extract. So I poured the extract into the cooled wort and mixed it with my hand! It turned out pretty good and no infection!

I also blame 2010's Barleywine for the mistake.

I actually always add the extract last with good success. There are several articles regarding the hops require the boil, the extract just needs to be well dissolved.

A friend and I brewed a black ipa once and Im not sure what happened but I got so wasted I couldn't remember anything past the mash. Therefore it was named blackout ipa. Came out awesome despite my best efforts of ruining it.

I actually always add the extract last with good success. There are several articles regarding the hops require the boil, the extract just needs to be well dissolved.

That was the one saving grace about this mess. I was able to tell my buddy that what I just showed hims was called "Late Extract Addition" and it's something that he can look up in case he doubts me. :rockin:

Back