Timing of hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When the recipe calls for Northern Brewer 60 mins, Cascade at 30 and 15, does that mean for a 90 min boil I add the Northern Brewer at the 60 min mark and leave it in for the duration of the boil, and the same with the Cascade? I know this is probably obvious but for some reason I'm nuking this out in my head and confusing things. :confused:

Although some recipes call for a 90 minute boil in your case it is probably a normal 60 minute. Add Northern Brewer hops at the start of the boil then 30 minutes later add some Cascade. Then finally add the aroma Cascade 15 minutes after that. After an additional 15 minutes pass you are done with the boil.

When times are listed in a recipe, it's minutes from end of boil. Even if you're doing a 90 or 120 min boil. Northern Brewer 60, Cascade 30, Cascade 15, all refer to from end of boil, so that's the total time they'll be in the boiling wort.

donshizzles said:
Is there a rule of thumb for how long? Recipe just says at 0 mins and that's it, not for how long for the hops to soak

Is this a IPA? If so I'm thinking this 0 addition is a dry hop then.. Some times theres a 5,2 or 0 which are all flame out additions.. You can dry hop once the wort has cooled but me I tend to wait until after fermentation but that's just a preference..

0 minute additions are different than dry hopping. I do flameout (0 minute) additions after the wort has cooled to around 180f and leave in at least 20 minutes or so.

Dry hopping is later in the process, I prefer to do it in the keg.

_

donshizzles said:
Ok so what's a hop addition in a recipe at 0 minutes? Dry hop?

Sorry I just read this again and realized you were asking if the 0 was a dry hop. Thought you were asking what both were.. Anyways.. It its a flame out so do what wildwest450 says but if your not using a hop sack it's ok to leave them in there just get it down to pitching temps as fast as you can...

I do my 0 min additions by tossing them in as I turn off the flame and leave them in until I transfer to my fermenter.

wildwest450 - why wait until 180 degrees? Does this provide a benefit vs. throwing the hops in shortly after flameout?

Latest posts

Back