Pot Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabond

Reaction score
So, I'm going to go all-grain soon and have been shopping around. I found a 60qt pot at a reasonable price.

My question is: Can a brew pot be too big?

I'll be starting out with 5 gallon batches and I'm curious if I'll have any problems with scorching or some other unforeseeable result due to the level of wort in relation to the size of the pot.

I'm not sure about the actual dimensions of the pot. It seems to be a little more squat than most I've seen on Northernbrewer and other websites. Sorry for the vagueness.

Thanks in advance...

I have a 60qt--it works well for 5g, 60 min boil batches. I can also do 5g 120 boils and 10 gal 60 min boils -- anything over 10 gallons is starting to push it though.....

So to answer your question this size works out well for me.

I don't think a pot can be too big, within reason of course. If your trying to do 5 gal in a 300 gal pot you won't have good luck. The wider the opening the more evaporation you will have, so you just need to take that into consideration.

I think you'll love having a 60 qt pot for 5 gal since you will greatly minimize the risk of a boilover.

I usually only collect around 8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch so 10 is pefect for me. I think anyway, I'm still waiting for it to get here.

Sanke kegs are 15.5 gallons, and many people including myself use them for 5 gallon batches.

Agreed, I use a 15.5 gal keg for 5 gal batches. It takes nothing to cut the top off of one. And with all grain, scorching isn't a problem as all of the sugars are mixed in with the water, no syrup or sticky powder to deal with.

Back