Kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RawDog

Reaction score
Thanks Plan 9 for starting this I'm a newb to kegging as well:mug:

Hey guys I have a few questions which I apologize in advance because I'm sure they are repetitive.

Right now I have my corny keg filled with water and hooked up in the kegerator to test for leaks etc. My questions are the following:

1. I'm used to conditioning my beer for months before drinking. I usually have 4 beer's in rotation. Now that I'm kegging can I condition my beer in the keg or is force carbonation that best way?

2. If I'm going to force carb my beer should I condition longer in my secondary?

3. Assuming I don't have any leaks which so far I don't; should I always leave the gas on my desired PSI on the keg? I'm sure the answer is yes but I'd like to hear about what you guys do.

My thanks in advance:tank:

Matt

BrewCaster said:
1. I'm used to conditioning my beer for months before drinking. I usually have 4 beer's in rotation. Now that I'm kegging can I condition my beer in the keg or is force carbonation that best way?

2. If I'm going to force carb my beer should I condition longer in my secondary?

3. Assuming I don't have any leaks which so far I don't; should I always leave the gas on my desired PSI on the keg? I'm sure the answer is yes but I'd like to hear about what you guys do.

My thanks in advance:tank:

Matt

You can keg the beer, and condition it as long as you want. Then you can force carb it. I have one keg at room temperature now, and I'll leave it there for a couple more weeks or so.

You can condition your beer in the keg or the secondary- it doesn't matter what vessel it is in. I leave it in primary about 3 weeks, then put it in the keg to age and condition. If I'm dry hopping more than an ounce, I'll rack to the carboy, dry hop, and then rack to the keg after that. If it's only an ounce, I'll dry hop in a bag in the keg. Or, maybe both.

I leave the gas on all the time. If I was going to be gone a couple of weeks on vacation, I'd turn if off probably if I remembered.

Thanks for the response. When you condition in the keg do you hit it with a little co2 to seal it? I filled up my keg with water to check for leaks and its been under pressure for a few days; theres a little bit of water accumulating on the top of the connector, I'm assuming thats not normal?

Yes, I find that some co2 helps it to seal tightly. Where is the water sitting? on top of a out connector, or something like that? It's shouldn't be leaking anything.

Latest posts

Back