Tailgating Appetizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyz

Reaction score
Stuck in rut with appetizersto go along with that tasty Necture of the Gods, any suggestions?

My standards have always been buffalo chicken dip and dill veggie dip. A couple summers ago I started making atomic buffalo turds and I constantly get requests for them now. Can't have a proper cookout without someone asking me to bring them any more. I'm also partial to dill pickles and cream cheese wrapped in ham. You can substitute green onions in place of the pickles as well. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

One of my buddies makes "armadillo eggs". There jalapeños hollowed out stuffed with cheddar cheese, and encased with sausage. They always go fast!

What is in a atomic buffalo turd?

A jalapeno sliced in half, lengthwise, filled with cream cheese and perhaps other cheeses, sometimes a little smoky sausage laid in there, then wrapped in bacon, perhaps sprinkled with cayenne pepper et al. and grilled or maybe broiled.

Made this one for New Year potluck...

Make meatballs (~1" diameter) with Lipton Onion soup mix, bread crumbs and eggs. Then make a sauce using a can of sauerkraut, a can of cranberry sauce with berries, a cup of brown sugar, and a bottle of chili sauce (the Heinz kind, not sriracha) and a 1/2 cup of water.

Boil sauce then pour over (raw) meatballs in a 9x13 baking dish, bake 350 for 1 hour.

Full recipe is on Food Network website.

It's combination of savory, sweet, and sour.

whoaru99 said:
A jalapeno sliced in half, lengthwise, filled with cream cheese and perhaps other cheeses, sometimes a little smoky sausage laid in there, then wrapped in bacon, perhaps sprinkled with cayenne pepper et al. and grilled or maybe broiled.

Made those for new years and pretty much any occasion. Never heard them called atomic buffalo turds, just bacon wrapped jalapeños.

Another good tailgate appetizer is gulf shrimp with a sliver of jalapeño or habanero, dollop of cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and grilled.

We had Swedish Meatballs at my wedding. For that reason alone I would have another wedding with her...

Depends on what you want to make. I usually go for a very limited tail gate when I go and the focus is more on the entrees than appetizers, cause face it, burgers, brats and dogs are tastier and take up much less cooler space than a potato salad, and cooler space is prime real estate, where else will the beers go.

I don't think anyone has brought this up in the replies (or maybe I didn't notice) - what equipment will you have at the tailgate? When I tailgated in Cali myself and my friends had everything from a four burner stove to a sink/wash station. If you only have a one burner stove and no grill it limits you. Cold apps are easiest without equipment - just prepare at home and chill till the game. Warm apps/food work but need heated prior to leaving and stored in a cooler (minus the ice!!! insulation works both ways) till eating. You can wrap most things in bacon and grill - google the walkabout charcoal grill for an affodable solution. The classic coleman green two burner stove makes a great stove for tailgating (mine runs on propane and liquid fuels). Something that hasn't been mentioned is crustinis. Toast french bread at home. Make a topping - chicken with garlic and marinara for example. Place in seperate container. Arrive at lot. Drink. Top toast. Eat. Huzzah!!!

Back