Any hunters out here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot at a running doe from about 150 yds with a slug yesterday, missed. Hoping for better luck today.

Hosting a youth hunt this weekend. Lots of turkey but does are scarce.
All the kids still having fun learning.

I love to hunt but have extremely limited access and time. Can only hunt public here in CT and my 6 year quest for private land access has come up empty. Good luck to all though and glad to see many with a successful season!

Archery hunter here, mostly Elk and deer Montana is my favorite hunting grounds but I also hunt Idaho and Washington. As addicted to brewing beer I am equally addicted to Elk in September. I also tend to lean towards hunt related beer names. My kegerater, and a couple labels........

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

I got 4 doe sat morning. My camp got 6.. everyone takes one home....homebrew was a hit..hunters cant stop talking about it..

I would really like to get into bow hunting and signed up for the hunter safety course here in Mass. Any advice on a good resource for the very very beginner?

Agreed. Right now, I am looking for information on bows and shooting, rather than hunting.

In MA, you need to take the course to shoot at my local rod and gun club.

I would really like to get into bow hunting and signed up for the hunter safety course here in Mass. Any advice on a good resource for the very very beginner?

I love archery hunting. For big game archery and black powder are all I have ever done.

first and I think most importantly go to a good archery supply store with plenty of time on your hands and work with a sales person to get set up with the right equipment. A good sales person will spend significant time with you and set you up with equipment that fits your body. Occasionally they will try to sell you the top of the line most expensive equipment but usually they are more into the sport than the sales and will set you up with what is right for you and not whats best for them.

second, Practice, practice, practice, and when you think you know everything, practice some more. shoot up hill, down hill, in wind, every situation you can think of because with a bow more so than any rifle they are all very different situations.

third, spend your money where it counts and buy GOOD arrows.

Ilove hunting in any form. I chase deer with an inline and soon to be a crossbow. Kick up rabbits,blast squirrels,and chase grouse with the old single shot 12 g. Want to get a dog to help run up racoons and hogs hopefully soon

Elk. 6x6 not small ya jerk :D

I didn't mean it that way! :mug:

It is young though, right? Don't the antlers turn much darker as they get older? I've never hunted elk before, but when I lived in Colorado I use to see them all of the time while camping and fishing. Elk are beautiful, I hope to hunt them one day.

Yes, young bull. 3-4 year old, but he did have is own heard already. He was going to be BIG, but then he walked in a restricted perimeter.

I mostly hunt turkeys and ducks, but I've been known to occasionally hunt deer. My nephew killed two does the first two days of season here.....he is now home....the target buck will, hopefully, have a 41mag hard cast 255gr pushed with a stout load of 2400 in its shoulder by Friday.

hunting time here in texas,my son killed a 17and1/2 in. 8pt. whitetail last saturday morning!can`t wait to get meat back from locker, goes great with a good beer!

First year really trying to hunt anything. Mostly taking my nephew out because he is really into it. He gets a lot of squirrels. We we went out for deer opening day. He shot a buck, I was really surprised, but we couldn't find it. I think the shot might have just grazed him. We saw a couple spots of blood but that was about it. I'm really proud of him. He weighs maybe 110 lbs but he fires my Browning 12 ga 20" barrel with 2 3/4" slugs with no problem. He got a 20ga as a gift but it is light, and with 3" slugs it left a black and blue mark on his shoulder.

I like to hunt deer, turkeys and pheasants and one day if I get time ducks and geese.

I've been getting more into bowhunting lately. Just traded in my Bowtech Destroyer 340 for a Hoyt Charger. It's a pretty sweet bow for the money.

porcupine73 said:
First year really trying to hunt anything. Mostly taking my nephew out because he is really into it. He gets a lot of squirrels. We we went out for deer opening day. He shot a buck, I was really surprised, but we couldn't find it. I think the shot might have just grazed him. We saw a couple spots of blood but that was about it. I'm really proud of him. He weighs maybe 110 lbs but he fires my Browning 12 ga 20" barrel with 2 3/4" slugs with no problem. He got a 20ga as a gift but it is light, and with 3" slugs it left a black and blue mark on his shoulder.

That's awesome you take your nephew hunting. He'll remember that for the rest of his life.

No blood doesn't mean the deer isn't dead especially if it was shot out of a treestand with a 20 ga. Even a 3in 20ga slug usually won't go all the way through a deer. Did u find any hair where your nephew shot him?

The buck might be dead out there. The meat is almost certainly spoiled but you could still get the antlers.

Thanks I may take another walk back to see if we can find it. He actually shot it using my 12 ga, with a 2 3/4" rifled slug shell. I didn't notice any hair in the area. I couldn't believe how quickly he acted. We were sitting in our 'blind', and he heard something behind us. He had been using some kind of doe sound thing, and he said this high pitched noise we were hearing was a buck. I saw his eyes get huge as he slowly turned around. Next thing I knew he stood up and fired a round at that buck. We looked around and could see the spots of blood and some fresh marks on this little ravine it jumped over but didn't know where it went after that. It was kind of thick brush around that area.

A 12 ga won't always pancake them either. Slugs are extremely powerful @ close range but rifled slugs are pretty inaccurate past 50 yards even 3in magnums. A deer that's just wounded even with a slug can still run a long way.

That buck might be in that thicket.

But if you're in a ravine and if your nephew shot too far back he might be laying in a creek.

The best thing to do is go back to the last place you saw the deer or blood and start walking in widening spiral around that spot. It's easier the more people you have with you.

Worked this last week end on two bamboo backed bows, One is osage core the other is ipe. Got them tillered and overlays glued on the tips. All they need is a handle wrap and a few coats of finish. Also finished up an osage self bow. I guess with thirty or forty bows I am almost ready. Mike

Worked this last week end on two bamboo backed bows, One is osage core the other is ipe. Got them tillered and overlays glued on the tips. All they need is a handle wrap and a few coats of finish. Also finished up an osage self bow. I guess with thirty or forty bows I am almost ready. Mike

I know what osage is but what is ipe?
Any pictures of your work?

I wonder how the backstrap loins of the caribou would hold up to baking in a salt dough per Alton Brown's recipe.

Ipe is a tropical wood. It is very hard and is similar to ebony only it is brown. Doesn't seem to have grain layers like wood here does. I thinks that is because they never freeze. It is spelled ipe but sounds like epay when pronounced, just like you would say ebay. Makes a fast hard hitting bow. Mike

Ipe is a tropical wood. It is very hard and is similar to ebony only it is brown. Doesn't seem to have grain layers like wood here does. I thinks that is because they never freeze. It is spelled ipe but sounds like epay when pronounced, just like you would say ebay. Makes a fast hard hitting bow. Mike

Thanks, so, are your bows traditional longbows, recurves and do you sell them?

The backed bows are relfex deflex and the self bows for the most part are flat bows sometimes I will recurve them. I sell some and keep some. A flat bow is similar to a longbow but shorter and flat cross section verses acorn . Mike

Cooked up some some of my amazing venison from last year's doe tonight. The highlight of my past 6 months was hearing my 2 year old daughter say, "I love deer meat!"

Tonight's meal was actually an awesome one all around: my venison, a tomato/cucumber/basil salad all from my garden, and farmer's market corn and potatoes.

Good luck to everyone in the coming seasons. This year will probably be my last "slim" hunting season. If all goes well, starting next year I can get back to hunting how I used to: nearly every weekend!!!

Back