Headaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apocalikik

Reaction score
Anyone know what gives you headaches from homemade wine. I only used commercial juice and yeast nothing else, no Campden or anything like that. Everytime I drink it, the next morning my head is killing me but if I drink a wine from a winery one that contains sulfites even, I feel perfectly fine the next morning. What gives?

apocalikik said:
Anyone know what gives you headaches from homemade wine. I only used commercial juice and yeast nothing else, no Campden or anything like that. Everytime I drink it, the next morning my head is killing me but if I drink a wine from a winery one that contains sulfites even, I feel perfectly fine the next morning. What gives?

What types of wines, reds, whites, fruits??

Could be the alcohol content and/or the tannins in your red wines.

Hello - I'm not experienced in the ways of wine making, only a few batches. But I have a thread in another part of the forum asking why the buzz I get from my homebrew is different from the buzz I get drinking the beers I'm trying to emulate in my homebrew.

As regards your headaches, I know that red wine hurts me worse than white in that regard. I also know that fermentation temperatures affect the final product and how many undesirable side effect components it contains (clumsy language there) - in my beer it's fusel oils and other such stuff. I believe red wine has a higher ideal temperature range than white, so you should be good there, but again, not my field of specialty.

I also suspect the kinds of sugars you're fermenting have an influence, but I'm only starting to learn here, so now I'll shut my mouth and wish you a good weekend with no headaches.

I'm assuming its the tannins or something else because the alcohol content on my first wine was only a 6% more like a grape beer haha and I only consumed a pint glass or less. Maybe I'll supplement with water just wasn't sure if anyone else was having similar effects.

If you're getting headaches from a 6% drink, it's got to be fusels. Those are "higher" alcohols that cause headaches and hangovers, usually from a too-high fermentation temperature but stressed yeast can do it too.

Back