Old Chub Skotch Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope, not me, but I will certainly be buying a lot of it with winter coming...was up at OB yesterday and had their Ten-Fidy Imperial Stout and their Leroy 'One Nut' Brown.

I saw one floating 'round the net at one point....either at brewboard.com for forum.northernbrewer.com

Went to pick up a case last weekend and my local distributor was cleaned out...

I've never had it, but it's a stong sottish ale, so it should be big on malt with a almost chewy mouthfeel caramelly with low hops. If tat sounds right try this.
Traquair house Clone
(All Grain) 11 US Gallons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Back to the Main Recipe Page ] [ Back to the Scottish Ale recipe Page ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Homebrew Recipe was added by
Skotrat on November 12, 1997 at 19:50:39:
(Please contact them if you have questions about the Recipe)
Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 US gallon at High Krausen
Batch Size: 11 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.020
Alcohol Content: 8.64 %
Total Grains: 32.79 US Pounds
Color: 12-22 (depending on carmelization)
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 28.6
Boiling Time: 2 hours
Primary Fermentation: 10 days @ 62f
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days @ 58f
Additional Fermentation: 2 months in brite tanks @ 45f

Grain Bill:

32.48 lb. Scottish Malting GOLDEN PROMISE PALE ALE 2 ROW (99%)
.31 lb. Roast Barley (1%)

Hop Bill:

1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 45 min
1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 35 min

Mash Schedule:

Single Step Mash:

90 minutes @ 154
10 minutes @ 168

Brewers Notes:

Yeast: WYEAST Scottish Ale

1728 Scottish Ale
Rich, smokey, peaty character ideally suited
for scottish style ales, smoked beers and
high gravity ales. Flocculation - high;
apparent attenuation - 69-73%. (55-70°F)

Notes:

Remove two gallons of first runnings and Carmelize it (boil down to about 1 pint and add back to boil). This will give the richer taste that you find in this finebeer.

Collect 15 gallons of Run-off and boil down to your 10 1/2 gallon target (the other 1/2 gallon will come from the 1/2 gallon starter of yeast slurry that you have made in advance).

Add 2-3 teaspoons of Irish Moss into the boil just because.

Traquair is the finest of all Scottish Ales. Their recipe is pretty easy and straight forward. 99% Pale Ale Malt, 1% Roasted Barley and 25-37 IBU's.

I have found this to be the common thread for this brew after reviewing about 30-40 recipes from Homebrewers that have cloned this brew.

About 1/2 of the recipes claimed that Traquair uses East Kent Goldings as the hop and the Other claim that Northern Brewer is the Hop.

I chose Northern Brewer because I am very fond of them as base hops.

I hope you like the recipe and if you brew it please let me know how it turned out and any changes that you have made.

niquejim said:
I've never had it, but it's a stong sottish ale, so it should be big on malt with a almost chewy mouthfeel caramelly with low hops. If tat sounds right try this.
Traquair house Clone
(All Grain) 11 US Gallons

[ Back to the Main Recipe Page ] [ Back to the Scottish Ale recipe Page ]

This Homebrew Recipe was added by
Skotrat on November 12, 1997 at 19:50:39:
(Please contact them if you have questions about the Recipe)
Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 US gallon at High Krausen
Batch Size: 11 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.020
Alcohol Content: 8.64 %
Total Grains: 32.79 US Pounds
Color: 12-22 (depending on carmelization)
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 28.6
Boiling Time: 2 hours
Primary Fermentation: 10 days @ 62f
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days @ 58f
Additional Fermentation: 2 months in brite tanks @ 45f

Grain Bill:

32.48 lb. Scottish Malting GOLDEN PROMISE PALE ALE 2 ROW (99%)
.31 lb. Roast Barley (1%)

Hop Bill:

1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 45 min
1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 35 min

Mash Schedule:

Single Step Mash:

90 minutes @ 154
10 minutes @ 168

Brewers Notes:

Yeast: WYEAST Scottish Ale

1728 Scottish Ale
Rich, smokey, peaty character ideally suited
for scottish style ales, smoked beers and
high gravity ales. Flocculation - high;
apparent attenuation - 69-73%. (55-70°F)

Notes:

Remove two gallons of first runnings and Carmelize it (boil down to about 1 pint and add back to boil). This will give the richer taste that you find in this finebeer.

Collect 15 gallons of Run-off and boil down to your 10 1/2 gallon target (the other 1/2 gallon will come from the 1/2 gallon starter of yeast slurry that you have made in advance).

Add 2-3 teaspoons of Irish Moss into the boil just because.

Traquair is the finest of all Scottish Ales. Their recipe is pretty easy and straight forward. 99% Pale Ale Malt, 1% Roasted Barley and 25-37 IBU's.

I have found this to be the common thread for this brew after reviewing about 30-40 recipes from Homebrewers that have cloned this brew.

About 1/2 of the recipes claimed that Traquair uses East Kent Goldings as the hop and the Other claim that Northern Brewer is the Hop.

I chose Northern Brewer because I am very fond of them as base hops.

I hope you like the recipe and if you brew it please let me know how it turned out and any changes that you have made.

Hi, according to Oskar BLues, they use crystal and chocolate malts as follows;
Commercial Description:
'Old Chub is a Scottish style ale brewed with copious amounts of crystal and chocolate malts, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malts. While Dale's Pale Ale ("the best-tasting canned beer I've ever had," according to many brewers and beer experts) is a showcase of both hops and pale malts, Old Chub is a celebration of malts. The cola-colored beer features a dense, tawny head, a creamy mouthful and flavors of caramel, chocolate and lightly roasted malt. Complex and rich, it finishes with a whisper of smokiness that calls to mind a fine single malt scotch. Old Chub weighs in at 8 % alcohol by volume.'

Any thoughts on how to incorporate chocolate and crystal malts into recipe, as well as beechwood-smoked malts?

Dude said:
Just brew Walker's Gruagach 80/-, you will not be disappointed. Great freaking recipe.

Out of interest I looked this up. If you are brewing to style, you should leave out any smoked malt. It has no place in a Scottish.

Ryan_PA said:
Out of interest I looked this up. If you are brewing to style, you should leave out any smoked malt. It has no place in a Scottish.

But it really goes well in it. When I use only the scottish yeast, I am hard pressed to detect any smokiness in it like a true scottish ale should have a tiny touch of.

You hardly detect the peat malt in this because it has so little. Trust me, the gruagach is a damn good recipe and close to style.

Back