Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took an early sample after a week in the bottle, pretty fine tasting brew. I don't think it's as carbonated as I'd like it though at a volume of 2.1

Took an early sample after a week in the bottle, pretty fine tasting brew. I don't think it's as carbonated as I'd like it though at a volume of 2.1

I can't wait to try this beer after a week.. My beer ended at 1.012, and it tasted great at bottling.

Bottled last Friday, so I will probably put one in the fridge Wednesday and crack it Friday to sample as well.

I'm a first timer and love lambic so I decided to try and make my own.. My question is I followed a recipe for a pale ale but then boiled raspberries and sugar together then added it in, is the sugar going to kill the whole process? Please advise

Extra sugar will make your brew have a higher alcohol content and dry it out a bit. It will probably still turn out fine

I'm a first timer and love lambic so I decided to try and make my own.. My question is I followed a recipe for a pale ale but then boiled raspberries and sugar together then added it in, is the sugar going to kill the whole process? Please advise

I'm guessing you'll cloud the beer by boiling.

I just racked my 1-gallon batch onto 600 g of frozen raspberries today. Just wanted to check to see what I think before I brew up 20 or 25 litres of it. But, after reading the entire thread, I am definitely excited to sample!

B

I just tried Lindeman frambois and am excited to try my hand.I have a Pale ale,Cascade SMaSH (saf 05 yeast)in the primary right now.Any reason I can't throw this on top of 3lb of raspberries?

I just tried Lindeman frambois and am excited to try my hand.I have a Pale ale,Cascade SMaSH (saf 05 yeast)in the primary right now.Any reason I can't throw this on top of 3lb of raspberries?

Take a walk on the wild side

I will post a picture of my finished product tonight. Been bottle conditioning for 24 days, and the taste is amazing!

I am already planning to brew up another batch of this before the fresh farmers market raspberries go out of season.

It still needs to carb up a little bit more for my taste, but all in all its amazing!

Brewed this over the weekend. Followed the recipe to the T but.....

1. My OG was 1.050 because I had an accidental wort spill and replaced the wort with water.

2. My primary exploded over night. I reused a yeast cake (which started fermenting within 45 minutes!) and had an airlock on there instead of a blow off tube. Woke up to a loud sound and saw that the stopper and airlock popped out of the carboy.

Looking forward to this. I may leave it in the primary for 14 days. eidt: is 14 days okay or should I rack it to the seconday in 7? Is there a benifit to rack in 7-days b/c of the raspberry addition?

After reading this recipe I had to try doing something with raspberries. I did a PM Northern Brewer Spotted Cow clone and used White Labs Cream Ale yeast. It was my first double brew day and wanted to do something my wife might like. Just put it in secondary on the berries today. Normally I secondary in a glass carboy, but decided to put the berries in a straining bag and use a bucket for easier clean up and to hopefully make racking to the bottling bucket easier. Can't wait to see how it turns out !

Brewed this over the weekend. Followed the recipe to the T but.....

1. My OG was 1.050 because I had an accidental wort spill and replaced the wort with water.

2. My primary exploded over night. I reused a yeast cake (which started fermenting within 45 minutes!) and had an airlock on there instead of a blow off tube. Woke up to a loud sound and saw that the stopper and airlock popped out of the carboy.

Looking forward to this. I may leave it in the primary for 14 days. eidt: is 14 days okay or should I rack it to the seconday in 7? Is there a benifit to rack in 7-days b/c of the raspberry addition?

14 is fine! I did 14/21/28

This beer tranformed really well.

I made this for my wife, but a week after I brewed this we found out she is pregnant..... So, now I have to drink this batch.

I tried some after 2 weeks of carbonating and it was so bitter/tart that it was tough to finish. I was starting to worry about how I was going to drink 2 cases worth of this stuff.

Last night, I tried another one and after 4 weeks of carbing, this beer is shaping up REALLY well. It was very refreshing after working in the attic doing home improvements all day.

Thanks for the recipe.

Just made this as my first AG. OG was 1.044, a bit low but still 65% efficiency according to Beersmith. Made this by special request of the wife, but can't wait to try it myself.

I brewed up a batch of this yesterday, and indeed, it did need a blow off, the the air lock popped out of the primary after 24 hours and had I had to scramble to rig up a blow off hose for a plastic bucket primary.

Just made this as my first AG. OG was 1.044, a bit low but still 65% efficiency according to Beersmith. Made this by special request of the wife, but can't wait to try it myself.

Just bottled. FG 1.011. Primed with 7.2 oz of sugar in 5.5 gal. Already tastes delicious.

Hey everyone! Pretty much first time posting... but I've been on here a while!

I tweaked this recipe a bit using Beersmith... we'll see how it turns out.

I'm calling it "Red Tide Raspberry Amber Wheat"

6lb Wheat DE
2lbs Amber DE
14.4 oz Crystal 40L
2.4 oz Roasted barley
0.5 oz Northern brewer 60 min
0.25 oz Cascade 25 min
0.25 oz Cascade 5 min
40 oz frozen Raspberry fruit
White labs British Ale yeast WLP005

Est OG: 1.071

Brewing Day is TOMORROW!

JonnySax said:
Hey everyone! Pretty much first time posting... but I've been on here a while!

I tweaked this recipe a bit using Beersmith... we'll see how it turns out.

I'm calling it "Red Tide Raspberry Amber Wheat"

6lb Wheat DE
2lbs Amber DE
14.4 oz Crystal 40L
2.4 oz Roasted barley
0.5 oz Northern brewer 60 min
0.25 oz Cascade 25 min
0.25 oz Cascade 5 min
40 oz frozen Raspberry fruit
White labs British Ale yeast WLP005

Est OG: 1.071

Brewing Day is TOMORROW!

Great! Keep us posted!

Does anyone have a picture of the finished product in a glass? I see a lot of pictures of it racked to secondary but I'd love to see how dark it turns out when it's all finished. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have a picture of the finished product in a glass? I see a lot of pictures of it racked to secondary but I'd love to see how dark it turns out when it's all finished. Thanks in advance!

sorry mine is in plastic...

Mine too :) I made it today - the all grain version someone had posted. I used black roasted barley, so it came out a little darker than I expected, but from the look of everyone's secondaries it might not be far off. I'll post a picture after fermentation is through and after it's kegged and carbed.

ya i used black roasted barley too. right now its right around the color of Amberbock... but my recipe is a little different.

I brewed the all grain version in July, bottled in August, and still enjoying it.

raspberry-beer.jpg

Ok! Just wanted a sanity check. Though, I guess the earlier posts classify the base as a brown ale.

Just because it's been mentioned several times....Does this recipe taste anything like lindeman"s framboise?

Just got my version kegged yesterday. Got a final gravity of 1.018. not too bad... I'm estimating a 6-7% ABV. I tasted a bit, it had a good malty flavor and a nice tartness from the berries. We'll see how it ages.

thx997303 said:
Just because it's been mentioned several times....Does this recipe taste anything like lindeman"s framboise?

No. It does not taste like framboise. It is simply no where near that dry. It tastes nothing like a lambic. The requiem is balanced pretty well young but definitely improves with age. Also, the framboise is quite acidic from the fruit. You are not going to detect the acidity either somewhat because of the roasted barley and C40 used.

Try it out you'll be pleased.

Cheers!

I saw at least one person tried this recipe with lambic yeast. How did it turn out?

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions on using a lambic yeast?

Just brewed a 10gal all grain version of this. Last time I did the 5gal extract version, it turned out well... hopefully this does as well.

I saw at least one person tried this recipe with lambic yeast. How did it turn out?

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions on using a lambic yeast?

Depending on when they brewed it, it may not be ready yet. lol. I've heard those take even longer to ferment and age than lager yeast! I dont know how it would turn out. I was happy with how the White Labs British Ale tasted when I kegged it. Its going to be even better once it ages.

I let mine sit in the primary for a week and then racked on top the raspberries in the secondary for five days. I racked to a tertiary for about a week and a half and am ready to keg!

Again not to spam the thread but I think it's not very nice to tell people this is safe to make without sanitizing your berries. Sure it's easier, and some people have had success but it also sucks to waste $40. Either sautee the berries or use camden.

I REALLY wish this info was in the original post, or else that I had done some more research before trying this. So far it has turned me off from brewing it again, which is a bummer.

Just curious about the infection portion of this. I've brewed a few beers with fruit. One with blueberries that I had frozen and picked myself, which I just thawed out and threw in the secondary. It turned out great. I noticed on the picture with the infection, it looks like it was in plastic and wondered if it wasn't the berries, but the vessel. I never ferment in plastic because it is so easy to develop scratches which are like the Grand Canyon for bacteria to hide in at the most vulnerable stage of the process. I have a buddy who has lost two batches recently and this is the only thing we do differently. I have yet to have any issues. Any one else have any experience with this?

chiteface said:
Just curious about the infection portion of this. I've brewed a few beers with fruit. One with blueberries that I had frozen and picked myself, which I just thawed out and threw in the secondary. It turned out great. I noticed on the picture with the infection, it looks like it was in plastic and wondered if it wasn't the berries, but the vessel. I never ferment in plastic because it is so easy to develop scratches which are like the Grand Canyon for bacteria to hide in at the most vulnerable stage of the process. I have a buddy who has lost two batches recently and this is the only thing we do differently. I have yet to have any issues. Any one else have any experience with this?

for my berries, I tossed mine in some 151 before racking to the secondary. I use plastic and I make sure I clean mine with cotton or soft stuff. this was only my first batch with plastic, so lets hope I can keep the scratches to a minimum.

JonnySax said:
for my berries, I tossed mine in some 151 before racking to the secondary. I use plastic and I make sure I clean mine with cotton or soft stuff. this was only my first batch with plastic, so lets hope I can keep the scratches to a minimum.
I soaked frozen blackberries in brandy for my other one, but really feel like the brandy leached the flavor from the berries instead of adding a brandy flavor.

UPDATE! After two weeks of Keg conditioning in the fridge, my wife and I tried our brew last night... it was wonderful! I think it will only get better with age. It starts with nice full malty body then the sweetness of the malt and the raspberry comes in... not too much though. Then it finished with a nice spicy tartness from the berries and the hops. I like my beers malty and slightly sweet, so this is GREAT! This WILL be brewed again!

UPDATE! After two weeks of Keg conditioning in the fridge, my wife and I tried our brew last night... it was wonderful! I think it will only get better with age. It starts with nice full malty body then the sweetness of the malt and the raspberry comes in... not too much though. Then it finished with a nice spicy tartness from the berries and the hops. I like my beers malty and slightly sweet, so this is GREAT! This WILL be brewed again!

This sounds great JonnySax, I think I am going to give this a try in about a month and hopefully have it at the perfect age for the summer. I also like that full malt body with the contributed sweetness. I was thinking of possibly doing 30 oz. raspberry and 10 oz. blackberry. I think those two berries go very well together and I am curious to see how they play together in a brew like this.

This sounds great JonnySax, I think I am going to give this a try in about a month and hopefully have it at the perfect age for the summer. I also like that full malt body with the contributed sweetness. I was thinking of possibly doing 30 oz. raspberry and 10 oz. blackberry. I think those two berries go very well together and I am curious to see how they play together in a brew like this.

Oh ya! that would be awesome. I might use all blackberries next time.

Back